View Single Post
Old 10-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #23
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
1989 vs 1998 debate on wear and tear, mileage and abuse is halirous

I've seen 95 240sx with 240,000 miles in better shape and with more life than 1992 GT-R with 140,000km.
That is a fair year range comparison. I Like how you chose the farthest disparaging years....

Its not the mileage. And to some extent its not even the abuse. Its more that the GT-R has tenuous mechanical parts... there is so much more going on in the mid and rear section of that car. Its kind of a mess. And the maintenance is exacerbated by those additional components, and seems like it is missed by people who expect to sell the car soon. "GT-R is meant to be sold and 240sx is meant to be owned" Mentality. And also there are so many 'JDM' originated modifications that are made before we get the car, that we may have no knowledge of from previous owners.

Even if a 240 has been neglected, it doesn't make a fuck of difference because in capable hands the parts are cheap, available, and engines plentiful assortment. The 240 is still extremely valuable since the value is in the chassis, not the drivetrain. The value is in the potential to be anything. KA engine and 5-speed isn't worth a mcdonalds cheeseburger to me.
Whereas a skyline with an RB20 or a neglected RBanything is going to be difficult and expensive to restore quickly or make something out of it. Even if the hands are capable there are additional costs associated with that car to make it a reliable performer. You are paying extra for the drivetrain it comes with and 9/10 it all needs a rebuild/replacement anyways, and there is no varied assortment to choose from, as few/none would put a sr20, 2jz or V8 into a skyline.

Skyline has a very specific set of purpose and a very specific engine and skill set requirement. It force feeds the owner it's short comings and advantages with no reprieve.
240sx is like having a blank canvas, that is why the original species are worth more than modified versions, if not in $$ then simply in potential and desirability to those willing to work for it's culmination completion, a final product which can be almost anything, any application, and anybody can own it i.e. novice or professionals can quickly build something reliable and affordable.