View Single Post
Old 01-25-2005, 12:29 AM   #7
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
RBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandyflip445
The H4 bulb has two filaments. The are positioned going across the bulb and emit the light outward from the filament. The HID produces light through the arc in the bulb which goes from the base of the bulb to the tip. Anyone get what I'm saying. This is all just me thinking about it though. I don't really have any proof.
Yea, basically the biggest problem is the brightest parts of the halogen filament are opposite the brightest parts of the HID arc, in addition to being positioned differently as you stated. The brightest part of the halogen filament is the center, and the ends are dimmer. But with HID, the ends of the arc are actually brighter than the center. So from the get go, the light is hitting the reflector in different points, and at different angles than the halogen light does. And then the reflector itself is not designed to handle that much light, so the end result is crappy, as shown above.

silviasr20det: aiming the lights correctly is not the key. You cannot change the characteristics of the headlights simply by aiming them.