View Single Post
Old 08-31-2020, 03:07 PM   #30
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Completely unnecessary, ugly, and a clear indicator that the owner has no idea how an engine works.

Oh, people love them though. Everybody loves how they look. It doesn't matter if they help or not... to normal people its an accessory. Like a chain around your neck, useless, pointless, but it looks pretty. Except that it degrades PCV function and speeds up oil aspiration/wandering/invasion into seals by increasing crankcase volume unnecessarily. Something so simple too.

You measure intake manifold pressure but not crankcase pressure? That is a joke. Crankcase pressure is more important.

S13's do not have catch cans lol. That black can is not a CATCH device, it recirculates oil back to the oil pan, acting as an oil-air separator. Which is really makes it a circulation improver. Oil should never STOP moving anywhere, just like blood in the body should never STOP anywhere. When oil/blood stops what happens to it? It coagulates, it solidifies, it turns to hard deposits and then you have a nice fat chunk which can break off eventually and float down stream, clogging an artery. Destroying the body/engine or part of it.

Let me run this one more time. Last time I try, this time I won't use a glib demonteaur (I wont try to make you think I'll just spoon feed)

When the engine goes into boost/WOT, it must have specific vacuum present 1-3" Hg inside crankcase. You must measure it. All wet sump applications need this.

This vacuum is what protects the oil seals and oil baffles. Just look at what happens when a piston ring breaks: Oil comes gushing out of the baffle. The opposite of what you want, Makes sense? No need formulas or numbers here to understand.

So lets say you run any engine at 0psi or 2psi instead of 1-3" Hg at WOT. Atmospheric vent or whatever.
You go WOT and no oil comes out. So everything is fine?
Wrong. Oil is being pushed into the oil baffle. Little by little, everytime you go WOT, more oil goes into the baffles, more is pushing into oil seals, the seal and baffle is being gradually invaded.

Main point(if you read nothing else read this)
That is why you find oil inside the intake manifold... First, the WOT condition pushes oil into the baffles, THEN the intake manifold suction vacuums up that oil from the baffle later. The oil that would NOT be inside the baffle in the first place if the engine had the correct crankcase pressure to begin with at WOT! A catch can is just mopping up your poor understanding of performance engine dynamics at that point. Can't figure out how to use a $12 2-bar map sensor? that sucks

To put it another way
Removing PCV is like start cigarette smoking. Lets say I disable the WOT pcv tube one day, just pull it off. Will I see oil immediately? No of course not. Just like with tobacco, It takes multiple runs, many times at WOT over a long period of time to push oil bit by bit into seals. Eventually the oil will invade every crevice and each seal and baffle will begin to show signs of leaking oil. The effects are not immediately apparently. Fresh engines appear to be fine at first. But just like smoking you can't quit one day and expect immediately improvements either; in fact the damage is often irreversible, you need to remove the old seals, and replace them. Wash out the baffles fully, replace all the lines, inspect the whole system and clean it back to normal.

I spend so much time on this because its the most important aspect of high performance engine theory there is. That highest high of knowledge which marks you a true enthusiast of mechanical engine performance: is cleanliness, and it starts inside the crankcase as a vacuum which keeps the engine's seals and baffles clear of oil.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote