View Single Post
Old 02-28-2020, 07:25 PM   #21
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
My gripe with PFC is it only sends signals to the engine, and doesn't care how the engine is responding really. Basically a PFC will gladly blow your engine up and not care while it's doing it, there are zero failsafes.

Also Martin at RS recommends removing any SAFC you might have when installing his ECU. Hell i had an SAFC with everything set to 0%, no corrections, and chasing a hesitation issue that was solved by removing the SAFC entirely. As Martin recommended me to do in the first place. It's always interrupting your signals.
I've had great success using the safc. I think you just need to know what you are doing, and how badly you need it or not.

You can't adjust a rom tune on the fly, you have to send it back to the tuner in the mail. So a safc is the only way to really dial in a rom tune, if its off even in the slightest.

This has nothing to do with the tuner, btw. Martin tunes all the computers 'the same' and it can give several different results on several different engines because there are variances/differences in every maf sensor and the pressure situation around/near the turbo, including variables involving the bypass placement and other small details.
So one rom tuned ecu could be spot on one engine and completely wrong on the same exact setup for ten other cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
My gripe with PFC is it only sends signals to the engine, and doesn't care how the engine is responding really. Basically a PFC will gladly blow your engine up and not care while it's doing it, there are zero failsafes.
The same goes for majority of stock computers, such as HPtuners on the OEM ecu which many use to tune their 500-1200hp LS engines. Yesterday as I was getting off the highway I hit it in third and the wastegate line blew off, the car took off so violently I thought for sure something was broken when I finally let up. It felt so good I couldn't take my foot off the pedal for a couple seconds though. The point being, no it didn't blow up because as an experienced tuner I set the final couple rows of my fuel map excessively rich just in case something like that happens. You have to think in advance what could happen, the gate in this case was still lifting due to exhaust gas pressure so maybe I got 22psi instead of the 14psi I wanted, but the map was so rich it was still 'tuned right' for those couple of seconds. A nice big cloud of dark smoke behind me was a helpful indicator since I didn't get a chance to glance at the wideband.

So more to the point. there are still several things you as an individual can do about 'failsafes' for these type of situations. For example, using an Arduino microcontroller -$20 to $40 unit- it is possible to tap into the map sensor -or maf sensor- and read the ADC using code, apply a fuel cut for when the sensor taps out at maf voltage for example. Another option is fuel cut safety switch -fuel pressure safety switch- type of units which open or close depending on the pressure as another example.

there are a bunch of ways to protect your engine and drivetrain with a little bit of thought and effort, having those features integrated with the ECU is nice but unnecessary for the savvy user.