View Single Post
Old 06-29-2019, 01:18 PM   #64
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
metal fenders are stamped using machines that cost more than you can imagine (think in the millions). our fenders also have brackets that require spot welding. the reason why no one has made metal fenders is simply due to tooling and production costs. theyre astronomical, hundreds and hundreds of sets would have to be produced at one time for ANY company who owns the machinery to even consider making the parts. the cost of the parts would most likely be in the $400-$600 retail range, and they simply wouldnt sell to justify the investment.
I know I'm late to the party, but you're right.

It would be easy to find a stamping shop to do the work, but it's the tooling (the die set) that's the obstacle. It's probably a 3-4 die part (1. draw 2. trim, 3. punch, 4. flange). Probably ~$1M for that die set. It's very unlikely that an aftermarket company would invest that.

That being said, reproduction panels for muscle cars have been made forever, and just recently someone started making AE86 rear quarter panels.

I always wonder what happens with the old OEM die sets. I should have asked when I work in an automotive stamping shop. I wonder if the old S-chassis dies have been destroyed, are in storage, sold off, lost somewhere etc.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote