View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 06:12 PM   #27
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
I've sort of been here. Not with an exhaust ticket, but for getting a "modified tail light" citation in my old FD. Cop tjought my stock FD tail lights were modified and too dark.

My experience in a nut shell was that the cops nor the judges know shit about cars and these citations in general. They didn't bother with hard evidence like lumins readings and instead determined that the tail lights were modified because A) the cop just thought they looked dark and B)because I didnt purchase my 1993 Rx7 when it was new..when I was 5 years old. I was found guilty and tried to appeal the court decision but that turned out to be a nightmare in itself. You seem to need a degree in law to know what half the terms mean. Ended up not bothering with it and just paid the fine.

I see the same deal happening here. Cop notices your car is modified in some form and will cite you for modifed exhaust regardless of how loud or modified it looks. In court they will simply ask if the exhaust is stock and then drop the gavel and check you out at the front counter.

This whole thing is a money grab. We're not going to see a reduction in these street takeovers because of an increase in modified exhaust tickets. I remember seeing a Uhaul truck doing burnouts in one of the street takeover videos...those are the kinds of people that we're dealing with here. They should start giving citations to people who rent Uhaul trucks as well.
It's not illegal to have a modified exhaust though. You could replace a gasket, and technically the system is "modified". It's illegal to have one with the purpose of making it louder, not having a muffler, and it cannot be over 95DB. You are unable to purchase a new OEM exhaust as the car is too old, there for you have no choice but to get an aftermarket replacement. If the intent is to say anything other than factory is illegal would essentially give you no option but to keep getting citations or scrap the car (which would be rediculous). If there is a muffler equiped on your exhaust with no cutouts, then the only thing after that is making sure you are under 95DB. The officers are not performing tests to ensure you violate that, which is why you should fight it in court. You can go to a BAR station for a certificate of compliance, but now what? You just wasted a fuck ton of time and money for no reason. Obviously if you know you're not in company, you're asking for it. However there are a lot of people being cited and they're in compliance, which is bullshit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote