View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 09:06 AM   #1224
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
gills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Swift springs are the best. How much travel are you getting? Also those are 3 way I think... whew very nice!
They are most definitely 2-way. This is a sponsorship with MCS and I'm working directly with them. Would be sad if I didn't know what I actually had, especially at this price point!

Swift does make great springs. As for travel, I know they tout that they have the largest amount of stroke, but at high spring rates you don't use much. Let's do some basic math for shits and giggles since I haven't really done it yet...

Front springs are 500 lbs/in. Static weight on front corners with 200lbs driver is about 750lbs, so they are compressed 1.5" at rest. I have no helper/tender springs so there's no damper travel wasted to activate the spring.

My max cornering g with 180+ treadwear street tires is about 1.4-1.5g.

Stock S14 front track width is ~58" so I'm at least 1" wider due to wheel size/offset and tire. Call it 59"

CG height I still have to measure but let's assume 16".

Lateral load transfer = [(g)(total front weight)(CG Height)]/(Track Width) = 610lbs. 750lbs + 610lbs = 1360lbs total on outside front corner in a 1.5g turn. 1360lbs/500 lbs/in = 2.72 in of total spring travel, or 2.72-1.5 = 1.22 in of dynamic spring travel.

There's obviously way more spring travel available than that. That's also not accounting for the effect of the anti-roll bar and the "lifting support" provided by the gas pressure in the external reservoirs.