View Single Post
Old 11-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #98
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I just wanted to touch on these real quick. I think whether the application calls for it or not is really up to the user.
it is entirely in the users hands how she/he uses the vehicle. If I want to run my car on a track or daily driver it, that is my decision yes?

Quote:
If I can instrument a stock sr20 with enough sensors and fail-safes to make it last way longer than it ever would have without them then I'm all for it. And even better for my built motor if I ever decide to put it in.
I agree fail safes are good

Quote:
So it has a fuel cut rev limiter. What if oil pressure is low? The PFC is gonna run the engine until the rods come out since it doesn't have an input for that parameter. That's pretty important.
I have a fuel pressure sensor in my regulator wired directly to the AEM. This is a fuel cut safety. If my fuel pressure ever drops it will cut the engine off or cut the boost pressure, pull timing, limp mode or whatever I tell it to do in that event. What am I missing here? I don't see how any external fuel cut off would be better.
The big picture is to avoid depending on the computer for everything. Digital processors, machine code languages and programmers make mistakes all the time, how many firmware updates do you think AEM and Megasquirt have had over the years to get where they are? There are some factory ECU with factory fuel cuts that still cause detonation on OEM vehicles for some reason, out there. The programming of these devices is sometimes done by individuals not knowledgeable in the field of auto mechanics or combustion engine theory. My point was only that, for the sake of all computers in the world, of any manufacture, we should not solely depend on their correct operation if we have other applicable options. I.e. $15 fuel cut devices and expensive external oil pressure data-logging are optional and recommended no matter what computer you decide to use, to supplement their operation if deemed necessary.