Old 02-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #14
SarcastaBall
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
SarcastaBall is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Don't listen to these assholes.

First, read up on the Mustang years and chassis. Each has its own nuances and pros and cons.

If your not FD comp drifting, you can run a torque arm on the solid axel which is more preferable then the crappy IRS setup.

IRS is also a bolt in affair and I find whole rear drop outs around here for $800-1,200.

A S197 chassis car is going to handle a lot better (05-14), and early 05's are damn cheap these days.

With a Fox chassis (79-04) at minimal you'll need a k-member, arms, coil over conversion, subframe connectors and bump steer kit.

Check out Doug Vandenbrink, his site is informative and will get you started. DVANZ.com He is focused on the SN95/New Edge style.

Vaughn only ever messed with the S197 which is good to go out of the box.

So keep that in mind. An older car will need $3k in suspension, a S197 won't.

But a 05-10 car looks like dick.

Thanks for the advice! I actually prefer the retro look (05+) to the Edge, or SN95. The good thing about SN95s is they're really cheap, and a lot of them have smart mods on them. $5k gets you a lot of car, often with the suspension you mentioned. Cheaper entry leaves more money for parts/tires/entry fee.

I'll read Dan's site cover to cover. I've worked with Cortex a bit, so I'm familiar with the Panhard bar fixes and all that. What I've been told by various pro-am friends is that the IRS makes sliding much more predictable, although live axle will slide easily (as I know), and it's all about driver inputs and getting better.

Why is the Ford IRS bad?
SarcastaBall is offline   Reply With Quote