View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #1
SarcastaBall
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
SarcastaBall is an unknown quantity at this point
Mustangs for cheap drift?

Hi everyone,

I've spent about 3 weeks shopping for a 240SX, and have become discouraged. Living in CA, driving a swapped car on the street is risky. I know people do it, but if I get the hood popped, I'm scrambling to put a KA in and sent to the REF.

I know a lot of people drift with the stock KA, but a friend (who competes in pro-am, and is an instructor) advised me against the KA, because it is easy to outgrow it. I have a fair amount of track experience, so more HP would give me a higher ceiling to build my skills on.

But swaps are too dangerous here, which sucks.

I'm starting to think of finding a 99 or 01 Cobra (has IRS). Yeah, they're heavier than the 240 by 500lbs, but when you cut down to basics: RWD, power, IRS.

The cars are stout and parts are cheap. My budget was $5k-$12k, and there's not a lot in that area. E36s break, and are expensive to drive. S2000s (from what I hear and read) aren't great for drifting, due to their engine being so far back.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I know regular Mustang GTs aren't great (although I've seen a lot of them running at Sonoma Drift), because of the live axle. But with an IRS, it seems like a decent platform for a first year drift car, no?

Curious what people think. Any experience? Any friends that had Mustangs (especially with the IRS).

Thanks.
SarcastaBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links