Thread: My SR20VET...
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 09:20 PM   #510
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Also, the 15W-40 is a slightly heavier oil as well, which will surely ass to pressure spikes!

And looking at the gauge, it is OVER 140PSI! I think I see 80-90 psi @ 7,000 RPM in my DET. That pressure is insane! Do you think this may develop into an issue with certain oils seals is such high oil pressure is sustained??.
I know the 15w-40 will add to an increase in oil pressure, but here in Fl it's generally hot and humid all the time, so I considered it some added security. Perhaps dropping to a 10w-30 could be an experiment to see what pressures the oiling system generates.

Like I said, I really do believe it's a pre-warm condition. I don't beat on it or boost it until the motor is good and hot. At cruise in 4th gear at 2500rpms tonight I was seeing 60psi. Dropped it to third gear and kept the speed and it jumped to 70psi. I do see it climb over 100psi regularly, but never that high once warm. I'll watch it the next time I do a 3rd gear pull once at operating temp to see what it peaks at.

As for seals, the only one I can really see going is the Turbo oil seal. I do have the recommended restrictor installed but, at those pressures, it has to be seeing more than what the restrictor can regulate. What other seals could possibly be compromised by such high oil pressure? I wonder what pressure the oil pressure unloader valve is set to pop off at.