View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 07:48 AM   #3570
cbh148
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
cbh148 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
I find the knock sensor to be a VALUABLE TOOL when tuning with a real stand alone. With a real time stand alone you can drive the car, monitor your injector duty cycle and log all of your changes per unit time. Advance the ignition timing bit by bit, remove fuel, and watch your injector duty cycle drop during several consecutive highway drives for maximum fuel efficiency while avoiding the bleeding edge.
Yeah, it would be totally different if I was dealing with a real stand alone fuel management setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Furthermore, just because you are listening to the knock sensor, does not mean you have to react to it. In other words, if I had the option of knowing what it says, vs flat out removing it, I would rather simply have that additional data flowing in to react to if necessary. Just for curiosity sake I've put "bad" numbers in places to see if the knock sensor knows whats up... and it does. It always does. Just some food, it is a tool and should be treated like one.
Believe me, I agree with you. I'd rather be using a legitimate full stand alone setup where I could monitor knock and actually make more accurate use of it. At that point, I'd have zero qualms with just buying a brand new OEM knock sensor (heard bad things about the off-brand units) and a new WiringSpecialties knock sensor subharness to go with it to give it the best chance of operating smoothly and cleanly.