View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #3568
cbh148
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
cbh148 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
cbh148, why would you disable the knock sensor?? It is actualy active in the regions of most importance and actualy load (it's inactive below 44-4600 I believe). The largest loads occur in the mid range when going full throttle, so I am not sure that is such a good idea.

And in terms of load, I am not talking about just simply airflow, but how the engine transitions from no throttle to WOT in the middle of the RPM range. It's similar to putting it in 5th and going WOT going up a hill from 3K onwards.
From what I've experienced, the knock sensor has never saved an engine of mine. I've always disabled them and never ran into any issues. Matter of fact, every time I've ever had one, I did have issues with them going bad and throwing the code (with the limp mode of course), or even better is when I've had one go bad but still be returning a signal to the ECU that was within the "possible" range, so it was basically telling the computer that it was knocking all the time (even when the engine was off haha) and pulling timing like crazy.

Martin was all for disabling the knock sensor. They're more for helping with saving the engine if non-premium gasoline is accidentally put in, rather than for saving the engine if it leans out spontaneously doing sportscar stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I was under the impression the knock sensor goes inactive above 5500 rpms on a SR?
Yeah I've heard that too -- that it gets ignored beyond some rpm.