Thread: STL Riots
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #58
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
Regardless of where one stands on this issue, there is some strong misinformation in this thread.

- I can tell you I have witness cops profile every color, sometimes it has to do with age and time, sometimes race, whatever. They are taught statistics and look for that. This is fair, its part of life and keeping communities safe. I have been wrongly harassed before, it ended up being just fine. I may have been angered at the time of the irritation, however after I calmed down I could rationalize why - the officer is simply doing their job.

- Applying more tax money elsewhere would be a nightmare being we are further and further in a drowning pool of national debt and our schools continue to take a large beating with funding. No offense, but it is fairly obvious you are young when a comment like that is made.

- People need to be VERY wary of media coverage of events like this. They ABSOLUTELY have agendas and do studies to learn how to gain viewers and attention. Regardless of which side was wrong, 2 cases in this very thread which have been mentioned - Brown and Martin were both STRONGLY mishandled by the national media to create outrage and controversy which ups their ratings, viewership, and coverage exposure and it's probably worthy to note that if you study up on politicians involvement with national media sources you may be surprised at the findings and may understand some of the bias that exist in reporting today.

Example: The media portraying Brown as a "Kid", he was 18 years old 292 pounds and 6 foot 4? Robbed a store, so clearly didn't make wonderful life or logically impressive decisions. 18 is a legal adult, strong armed robbery is a felony. He was an adult felon. How does "Cop shoots adult felon in self-defense" sound? Not like much of a major headline.

Example 2: In the Martin case showing pictures when he was between 12-14, showing a picture of Zimmerman in orange (tricking the mind into thinking prison uniform), portraying him as white, editing 911 tapes, he was carrying "tea", etc.

The media absolutely sparks much of the controversy that exist today, it helps their business.

- Wrongs absolutely happen within the police force, and many today are quick to point fingers and throw the flag. I do feel many are on a power trip, and at times overstep their boundaries. What's funny is the amount of people who would probably (though never admittedly) would never have the BALLS to do the job they do. Every day they face a danger, when they pull over a car for speeding, who knows if that guy is packing drugs and has a Glock under the front seat. They could get a call to a shooting and instantly put their life in danger to help others. So many more instances that we would probably absolutely freeze in, or even pee ourselves in if it happened to us. That doesn't excuse it however - the ones who do abuse the badge. The problem is this particular case has no proof to support that.

- Statistics show (like has already been said in this thread prior) that when instances of self defense occur, especially when one is surprised by incident and not expecting it, the amount of shots can increase, inaccuracy goes up, loss of memory, etc. Adrenaline among panic does funny stuff to the human brain and body, anybody who has ever been in a traumatic circumstance can tell you that. It is also a basic foundation of psychology when dealing with instances of trauma.

- Not all of the witness statements said he did nothing, by the way. In fact - the most important of all witness statements (made by the friend of Brown) has been completely blown up by evidence and autopsy findings. There are a mix of witness reports, some of which absolutely coincide with the Police forces side of the story.

I am not one for strong militarization of our police force, strong central government, this that and the other. I think our constitution is ran over today, the whole reason our founding fathers formed the states and created America serves no purpose anymore and that is SCARY. I think it is humorous that many of the people who don't want the "militarization" of the police force are the same people who are fine with the gun control laws. The whole reason the founding fathers wanted the right to bare arms was to protect against an all empowering oppressive government - how's that for a knowledge drop?