View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 11:05 PM   #6404
marks14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
marks14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bink Industries View Post
I dont. just phone conversaions and shared drawings with suspension engineers from Hyundai and other people I will not name drop that are some of the most respected and experianced set up guys in Formula D. they ALL told me throw strut axis out the door and plot based off SAI. Instant centers roll on this axis not strut axis.

when the rules of roll center where written for McPherson the struts where mounted like such.

actual car with suspension like this is the 86 corolla. the strut axis is the SAI. but now we have offset from strut axis to SAI. so you still go off of SAI where your pivots are.
I guess it's just a case of real world practice being a little bit different than the text.
I was treating the strut as an A-Arm of infinite length then looking at it like SLA suspension. I wonder if the strut axis and the SAI are close enough to just make the small angle assumptions? Maybe that's why you go off of SAI in the real world. Interesting.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge especially since you've worked with some of the top people.
marks14 is offline   Reply With Quote