View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #26
zangetsu1223
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
zangetsu1223 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ 21o3 View Post
Sadly you already found out that zilvia is ruthless to the noobies. We have all been there, but sometimes it is best to keep quiet. lol that is what I personally learned. You will catch on with time. Keep an eye on open threads where you might be able to ask a quick question without getting flamed. Just don't thread jack. The main issue people have here is using the search. There is a reason for that: 99% of things have been covered AT LEAST twice. lol It might take time but search. If you can't find the answer, look for the "Small Questions" thread.

As for the guy above saying he has PBM coils, that doesn't really help you. It is the spring rates that you want to know about. I don't know what PBM runs stock, but spring rates really make a difference in stiffness. Like Fortune Auto runs 8k front and 6k rear springs (I think), yet I know i will be ordering my set with 10k front and 8k rear.

I am going to shoot down your fanboi dreams here but forget about all parts you think you want unless you really know about them. With a 5k budget, good luck. I will be spending over 3k in suspension components alone this winter and that doesn't even include my 5 lug swap, rims, tires, and brakes. Forget about engine swaps. Buy a stock 240 and change only the suspension and weld up the diff. Push the piss out of that car and get used to that. Believe me, 150hp is more than enough contrary to popular belief. A 2jz or RB26 are both insane swaps that will result in your death or you selling the unfinished project out of rage. Keep it simple. KA-t, SR20, maybe a 1Jz, Rb20 or RB25. But focus on handling first. I have a car with a relatively stock SR20 but I am putting all of my focus on suspension first. The best drivers (yes, drivers. not just drifters) always recommend learning with a low powered car. Take that advice and take small steps.

You might not have tracks in the area, but keep an eye out on local forums for drift events. People sometimes organize events in large open parking lots, just like they do with auto-x. Just keep it off the streets. Yes we all "accidentally" kick the clutch going around an on/off ramp every now and then, but don't make it an every day occurrence.

Good luck, reality is going to hit you hard...I was prepared and I know it sat me down!
tnx man that was really an eye opener for me and now i know where to start with..imma go more in depth in my research to get more info and as for the flaming, it gets annoying sure, but ill still ask questions man..

damn, necessito mucho cash for sure but one quick question though, how much should i save up to get a car and get some decent mods that will help me practice drifting?

"accidentally" lol anyway after i get my 240,
ill be attending that saturday meet in my area to gather some more info..i also know about one area that they use to drag..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk