View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #14413
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post

1: I know this may sound funny, but are you doing a full on race motor or doing it just because? I don't see the point unless it's a wild setup.

2: What do you mean by progressive? I do think a progressive suspension is ideal in any form of anything, as you can never 'always predict' how it will react. Linear spring rates with proper dampers for me.

And truthfully, I'd say my Koni setup rides nicer than any of the competition based, similar priced coilovers. You want the suspension to work with the car not against it.
Porting and polishing is a GOOD thing for ANY engine. What it does primarily, is make the crappy fuel blends actually work because it helps stop detonation by smoothing the combustion chamber. This is multiplied when GOOD VP/SUNOCO Race Fuel is used

Many companies use progressive springs in the coil over sets. A Progressive spring is one that has stiffer and softer spring rates in the same spring. All the coil overs that are a mix between what I will call 'all out race', and 'basic Stage I Street' use progressive rate springs. Tanabe's 210 'Grip Feeling' is also a progressive rate spring. This is why these firmer coils also have a softer ride that still works well on the street is due to the progressive rated springs

Think of progressive spring rates like a really stiff spring at the top 1/3 of the total spring, a Stage II spring in the center 1/3, and a Stage I spring in the bottom 1/3. If the spring is merely moving across flat tarmac, it offers a smooth compliant ride. If it is driven a little harder, the center is flexed and suppressed and holds a slightly firmer ride quality. If the car is driven hard, the springs flex to the Stage III firmness of the top 1/3 of the spring. The harder the suspension is worked, the firmer the ride becomes.
I have the same style progressive rated springs in my Sportster cafe racer's shocks and forks. The billet racer WORK's shocks are softer when barely moving, but lay into it and they get really stiff. Same as the fork springs with the Gold valve emulators and stiff oil, softer when barely cruising, but lay it into a back road corner and it gets totally stiff and 'racy'