View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #20
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
yes, pay special attention to not letting it slip to avoid dealing with another hastle. In reality if it skips on the crank again it doesnt really matter because the alignment is fucked up already as it is, but still dont let it happen. I always use an extremely trustworthy friend that knows nothing about engines to hold the top and make sure it turns smoothly while i turn the crank. I always tell them that if it falls at all ill have to rebuild the engine, that usually scares them into holding it nice and tight.

Now for the 'Im bored so heres a long-winded rant' part:
The dark and gold links are there to align everything, but if its messed up like i think it is, youll have to ignore them entirely until the engine needs to be rebuilt. Some guys (experienced and novice alike) get wrapped up into thinking that they HAVE to use the alignment links, and theyll spin the crank over and over by hand to line it up instead of just putting it on power stroke TDC and moving on. And then when the classic 'shit, im not sure but the chain may or may not have slipped' scenario comes into play, some people feel the need to take off the lower oil pan, baffle, pickup, upper oil pan, front cover, both cam gears, water pump pulley, crank pulley, belts, oil change, etc. just to realign the links all while the engine is in the car. That's just asinine, because you just wasted oil, ruined the seal of the headgasket on the front cover, you probably wont get liquidgasket back onto the upper oil pan unless you drop the cross member, and you just busted your ass to work around the radiator, hoses, all that bullshit, when you just had to basically unbolt the intake cam gear and count to 20.

Let us know how it goes

Last edited by zombiewolf513; 07-27-2013 at 07:58 AM..
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote