Thread: real history
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
ONYX S-13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
ONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to ONYX S-13 Send a message via MSN to ONYX S-13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
We need to end having public school as a social enrichment program and make it one geared toward survival and life skills - ie: MAKE MONEY.

What kids need to learn is - how American politics work, not what George Washington did, but an actual understanding of why we have Turtle Bridges money in trillion dollar economic stimulus packages. They need to understand how credit cards work, what are Roth 401Ks, IRAs, investment funds, financing futures. They need to know how intrest on loans works, how to buy a house. Buying, Leasing, Renting - they need to know how to retire, manage debt and monthly bills. They need to know what to look for when buying, inspecting, borrowing and buying houses. They need to know how to sue people, protect themselves from lawsuit. They need a full understanding of the American legal system - laws, crimes, punishment. They need firearm awarness and safety. They need "Active Shooter, Terrorism, Natural Disaster and Auto Accident" safety training. Auto insurance, home insurance, life insurance. What is a check book, internet safety - ect. Health Care! Health insurance! ECT!! How to eat right, how to cook.

These amazing life lessons, the details that most of us older people go "wish I knew that at 20" or go "I never knew that existed/was possible when I was 18" need to be taught to these kids.
^THIS

I would say that this should be taught as early as freshman year (usually when kids can get a permit work). If kids are old enough to make money (from an employer not allowances) they should be taught how to budget/manage that money. Teach them how to make the money work with/for them instead of them for the money.

Quote:
Lastly - education. Fuck Band, Fuck, Art, Fuck Theater.
I disagree with this to a degree. I believe they should be offered but should definitely have a higher premium on it. They should be allowed to teach music, acting, etc. but not provide the equipment. ALL electives should be paid for with lets say 80% of the student's money and the rest from the school. If it isn't essential for day to day life then it should cost.

The second option for that (electives) should be to bring back vocational high schools. They didn't provide these out here where I lived while growing up but one of my older friends said those were very popular in NY state where he grew up.

For example: He said the vocational schools would be setup near the area where the most of that "trade" was practiced. So if you wanted to work in a field of aviation (piliot/plane mechanic/flight attendant/etc.) the school would be setup near an airport.

If you wanted to work as a vet the school would be located near the closest zoo or animal hospital.

And Etc.

The schools wouldn't cost more it's just that they would teach math, english ONLY, then the rest of the time they would be learning in their vocational interest, whether hands on or text book.

Quote:
People need honest to god, real life useful information in school. I want 18 year olds graduating as functioning members of society. Able to find work, plan their finical futures, understand what government programs are out there to help them get off of assisted living and make meaningful lives for themselves.

Get rid of summer, make each grade level 3 semesters. If people want social enrichment, that is why you have after-school clubs.
^ This. I disagree with the bottom part though. Everyone needs a break from the daily grind. I wouldn't really say "get rid of it". I would definitely say make it much much shorter.

What I loved as a kid was year round schools. As a kid I got bored during summer. It just seemed too long. After the 3rd/4th week of being off I was running out of things to do (especially when I was elementary school). Year round school rocked because right when I was getting burned out on school I would randomly get 2weeks off here, one week off there and it really helped me recharge the mental battery.

Plus when you're older, it can give you a chance to apply what you learned in class and see real life results, it can help you volunteer here and there to have hands on experience on the vocation you choose to have as a career.

<End>
ONYX S-13 is offline   Reply With Quote