View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #150
buentellomma
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
buentellomma is an unknown quantity at this point
How to buff clear coat:
Step 1: after your clear coat has cured for more than 8 hours you can begin sanding out orange peel/ trash/ runs/ sags.

Step 2: there are two ways to sand the clear coat, wet sanding and dry D/A sanding. On this bed cover i did both but i finished with wet sanding. When wet sanding keep water on the surface at all time to ease in the removal of clear coat. If your wet paper does not have enough water it will begin to clog up. Start sanding with 1000grit until the surface is smooth then go back over it with 1200 grit then 1500 grit and finally 2000 grit. Use a 45* angle when sanding then when switching to the next grit go in the opposite direction. This will help with removing the course grit sanding marks.

Step 3: Once you have removed the surface issues, you are now ready to use rubbing compound and a buffer. I like to use 3m and a 3m waffle buffing pad.

Step 4: A good rule to follow is only buff a square foot at a time. I like to lay out about a foot long strip of compound.

Step 5: Take the pad and spread out the compound so it doesnt sling out everywhere.

Step 6: Once you start buffing keep the buffer moving side to side and dont let it sit in once spot for too long. This will heat up the surface and you will burn through the clear coat.

Step 7: this is what it looks like if you buff one square foot at a time. Buffing like this you are less likely to miss spots.

Step 8: Once your part is buffed it is ready to go. Polish compound is optional sometimes ill use it depending on the color.

buentellomma is offline   Reply With Quote