View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 03:48 AM   #127
buentellomma
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
buentellomma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2ic02 View Post
can any one show pictures and steps used to fix common flaws while paint. (running paint, dirt, fish eyes....)

if you notice a flaw in between coats, do you try to look whole car over for flaws and fix between each coat??. ideally you would like to not have problems, but do you only have your flash period(8 hours) to fix them. If you are approaching the end of your flash time would you spray a 2nd coat to a majority of the car, rather than have to sand the whole car/clean/tack rag the car.

if you do make repairs: how would you clean the area to continue painting.

sorry for all the questions. thanks in advance
Sorry I don't have any pictures of issues while painting.... I rarely have anything more than a small run in the clear coat. Yes you would want to look over the whole car between coats to identify issues. No you can wait longer than 8 hrs but the 8hr window is for having to scuff it before moving on. If you go over the window time you must scuff sand the base coat before spraying clear. You do not have to recoat if your within or after the allotted time frame, only if you have to repair the area. Scuff it clean it clear coat it. Clean the repaired paint area with wax and grease remover and a tack rag.... Get use to tack ragging more than anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureRush View Post
When and what grit should I use to sand each layer? Wet or dry?
If removing the paint layers use 180 grit on a DA... It will take you forever to hand sand or wet sand all the layers off. Remove the paint layers before working body work or priming
buentellomma is offline   Reply With Quote