View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #113
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by c72c View Post
I would like to suggest giving a few tips on masking.
I found this video to be the most helpful (to me at least) on the topic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s4APWNqRGc

the guy's YT channel has a great deal of good information on the subject aswell:

mcqueenpaint - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2ic02 View Post
Can someone chime in on guns.(good guns, basic set up, tip size, cleaning, pressure....) thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buentellomma View Post
Well what it really comes down to is are you a paint gun owner or a painter? You can have the best equipment but without the skill you still wont acheive what a skilled painter with a cheap gun can produce. I can spray with whatever you put in my hands, i like to use iwata brand guns ($400 +) with a 1.4 tip for base and 1.8 tip for clear. Devilbliss makes reasonable priced setups that work great. Hvlp guns should spray at 10psi at the cap, around 50psi on the line. Cleaning i break mine down and clean with laquer thinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2ic02 View Post
thanks for the response. i know alot of the final product comes down to experience and skill. what i a guess i was wondering is do i need to go out and spend $300-500 or can i get by with a $200 gun. Is the final product going to be noticably different, assuming you have the skill to paint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buentellomma View Post
If your only going to use it a few times the cheaper gun would be the way to go. Cheaper setup vs high dollar setup : the cheaper gun is not going to last as long and the atomization of the paint some times isn't that great meaning you will use more paint. Honestly if you don't have much exp with spraying save the cash and go with a gun you can afford. You won't be able to tell a difference when you spray.
The boss has a collection of guns at work and allows us to play with them.
I'm using a cheap HB 1/8 bottom feed gun to shoot primer and it has worked ok for me.
For the base and clear I'm going to use a Finnex 3000 with a 1/4 tip.
There's a DevilBiss StartingLine gun on hand but the reviews I read are mixed.
The Finnex gun seems to be a good choice and value (if you're buying one). All the reviews I read were positive.
And if I'm not happy, there's also an Iwata gun I could try.

Anyhow, I'm undergoing my first DIY job. Still at the primer stage.
(you can see the run on the fender where I sprayed too much primer)

ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote