View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 01:23 AM   #127
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasTiff View Post
Ok, we figured out the problem, did a boost test under air pressure and found that something was whistling on top of the intake manifold...turned out the vacuum source for the FPR was T'd off with nothing hooked up to the other side of the T! That fixed my problem...boost kicks in nice and early as it should now. We retuned on the street, and will being finishing with a dyno tune in the next month or so for getting the most out of my timing.

As far as my injectors being maxed out, yes they are, but i have a reason why i went with these injectors. I didn't want to get into a big build yet (want to enjoy my car for at least a full track season) so i figured the best bang for my buck would be to get some Subaru STI injectors and max them out on e85 at 15psi (didnt want to throw more boost that that on the t28). My thoughts are I will have a super reliable setup at 300whp. My injectors cost me $40 off someone on craigslist, had them cleaned and flow tested at $10 a piece, and got some subaru injector clips off some random legacy in the junk yard for like $2....so 50-60hp increase for under $100 is OK in my book

Another big plus...my wife doesn't complain of the smell of gas in the garage anymore! Just the smell of sweet sweet E85.

Now i'm about 300miles in since the fuel change, when should i start thinking of changing out my fuel filter? If i need to at all...
Maxed injectors tend to overheat and end up dying. It takes some times though... I know why you did that, i went the same route with mitsu evo injectors. Straight fit on a CA, same plug, same gaskets, just a bit shorter which makes them even easier to fit. Latency is around 800µs which is high for 500cc but still acceptable. Got them for 80£ at the time ... Still I think i will get hIgh Z 1050 FICs or ID1000 soon for peace of mind. It should also give better fuel mileage due to better fuel spray and shorter openings (meaning the fuel will be sent in the engine, and not on a closed valve most of the time). I think they are around 400-450$ .

fuel filter : You seem to have an AFR gauge, so check it. When it starts to go lean on boost, or stutters, time to change it.

I had to change mine twice (was completely clogged) at 1000km intervals, but the car is old and must have been sitting a lot. E85 cleans your fuel system, so everything goes to the filter; if it is already clean, it wont be much blocked.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote