View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #18
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Update 1

Alright so here goes part two of my initial post... I'll try and fit everything in here up until the point the car is today.

So first off. I had some bad machine work done when the engine was going together originally I was going to shim everything myself but at the recommendation of my dad I went with a machine shop. Turns out they wasted practically my whole summer that year on my head and then charged some ridiculous price for their work. This is what happened shortly after their work and not due to any fault of mine, I was simply highway cruising at 3000-3500rpm

So I did what any car enthusiast would do and took things breaking as an opportunity to upgrade! Here you can see me test fitting my Jim Wolf S3 cams

And also, since I was disappointed with my little s15 turbo and its ability to hold a good pressure; I sold my s15 turbo, picked up a gt2871 used along with some shiny new lines and turned the fuel pressure up on my 550's, making them essentially 640's.

This time I built and shimmed it myself... So much engine bay room!

Everything was good with that setup for a while but I figured I'd try and put on the Freddy manifold I've had lying around since I bought the car. While it was all out I decided to wrap the exhaust manifold too. Oh and don't worry, shortly after I got rid of my valve cover "breather" and rigged it up better with a catch can and suction from the intake.

The most annoying part of getting this on was cutting the intercooler piping. Oh and the IACV coolant lines didn't line up right so I wound up just plugging them. The car idles rough in the cold now but whatever, race cars don't need to idle well I'll probably fix that later down the road but it's not really a big concern.

So yeah, that basically brings me to how the engine is now. This but with the breather fixed like I had said. Oil dripping on a hot exhaust is a no-no...

Woo-hoo, engine's built! Now let's get to suspension!

Ooooh, shiny The RUCAs wound up not fitting though. They're supposed to be the dual s13/s14 style but there was a mix up somewhere along the line

Here's the s13 style ones I replaced them with and you can clearly see the difference in clearance for the coilover.

Got some Tanabe sway bars for both front and rear along with some new endlinks. One of the stock endlinks in the rear was literally snapped and the rear bar was doing nothing

Here you can see the front sway and tension rod. I don't have a picture of the rear though since I didn't get the RUCA's on that day due to the s13/s14 mixup.

A little later on I was having some trouble with blowing fuses and my taillights and I found this to be the culprit which I promptly fixed.

Ew, go away rust! can't wait to get my grinder and a mig...

So that's pretty much where I am today. Here's a more recent interior picture with my gauges and a bubble knob I won in a contest lol, I was feeling festive... Merry Christmas from my 240!

Don't worry though, I still primarily use my nice, leather Nismo knob

And finally, a little sneak peak into the future... I just bought these bad boys! Along with z32 uprights for the rear.

I am SUPER excited to replace the Megans that came with my car with a real, track-ready setup like this. Here are the details:

"Front:
veilside180sx front s13 housings
Koni 8611-1257 Race shocks (Double adjustable)
Hypercoil 8"x 2.5 x450lb springs
T3 Camber plates
T3 Camber plate upper hat system (Camber Plate Upper Hat System consists of 2 upper hats, 2 hardened washers, 2 needle bearings and two upper race washers.)
GC hardware
Coil over thrust bearings (bearing under springs)

Rear:
veilside180sx rear s13 housings
Koni 8611-1257 Race shocks (Double adjustable)
Hypercoil 8"x 2.5 x350lb springs
Tein upper mount
GC hardware
Coil over thrust bearings (bearing under springs)"

Only problem here though is that I'm waiting to put all my new suspension/brake parts on at once. No point in putting these coilovers on while I'm still running 195 all-season tires on steelies, ya know? I just got a new job so my first paycheck there is like a month out but when I get that I'll be putting the finishing touches on the suspension. I'm looking at z32/wilwood/350/Evo brakes (not sure which I'll go with yet and it largely depends upon what's for sale at the time), 5 lug conversion, some nice 17x9.5 wheels all around (rpf-1s maybe?) with 245/40/17 tires, a healthy amount of pull on the fenders and a touch of camber.

So yeah, updates will be slow for the next month or so until the paychecks start flowing in but please, let's keep the discussion going until then.

Last edited by LuckyX2; 07-10-2014 at 06:09 PM..
LuckyX2 is offline   Reply With Quote