View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 05:03 AM   #304
swiftmini
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
swiftmini is an unknown quantity at this point
I have just read through this thread. Must say its all very interesting stuff.

I have been into the whole slamming an s-body, mega steering lock, decent handling for about a year now and iam really starting to get to grips with it, defo still learning though.

In terms of lowness, iam almost on the limit for a uk car. We have speed bumps over here that are sometimes over 100mm tall and also our roads are layed by under payed, half blind council workers (damn you peeps with sat nav tarmac laying equipment). Still not that low compared to you guys in us/jp/aus.

At the moment my basic spec is: on a s13 chassis

Rear
Godspeed arms all round
Godspeed arb
Apex gen1 coilover with 8kg spring
S14 subframe
Homemade risers bushes (offset hole for s14 subframe fitment) (rigid mounted flat too body)
Cusco two way diff solid mounted

Front
Godspeed tension rods
Stock lower control arm (I had to ditch the gashspeed lower arm because the rose joints and pillow ball were stuffed after on 2000 miles :wack
Home made psm knuckle mod (psm wanted too sell me full kit when I only wanted the weld on u shape parts)
Ikeya formula tie rods
Steering rack moved forward by 18mm, soon to be 24mm. ( I have many pics to show the crossmember fabrication)(its really simple and is legit).

When I made the psm styke knuckle mod I welded the part on, tracked up the toe by eye, and tested the lock either way. I then heated up the steering arms that they were welded to and bent them outwards to remove more ackerman.

When side ways my car feels amazing but its crap on the road and over bumps.

I think that because I have lowered the tie rod end by 50mm (2inch) that I also need 50mm of rollcentre correction on the outboard lower arm ball joint, to get the curves between the two back to normal.

If I put a trolley jack under my hub and jack it upwards from full droop to full bump, you can easily see that the hub bumpsteering a lot.

I'll come back and write more stuff later
swiftmini is offline   Reply With Quote