View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #302
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
A front machined aluminum upright could potentially run into strength issues where it mounts to the strut. The dimensions are constrained by the strut mounting flanges, so you can make it a bit thicker, but that's it, so strength could be an issue.

The steel hub mounting bit will have to be machined separately and attached somehow, etc.

There's just a lot that would go into one, which is why I decided it wasn't worth the trouble given that you only need to get one adjustable arm to correct the roll center up there.

I guess I just don't understand the spindle thing... especially when no one talking about making them has even done a detailed look into our suspension geometry. I'm definitely not one to shy away from "hardcore parts," as I've definitely made/designed a few for the S chassis. I just think you guys are banging your head against a wall just for the sake of "another part to add to the car."

Now if you're looking at a new spindle for faster steering and bigger steering angles, that I can understand, but the geometry part is completely being glossed over and not understood by most other than "stock must be best, let's get it back there"...
IMO the main advantage to the aluminum spindles would be the weight savings. That's all I would really care about because like you said, one custom arm and you're done with the front suspension. I've seen aluminum spindles on other cars that are about the same dimensions near the strut mounting points as would be reasonable on a 240. I'm pretty sure that not all of them were forged. That would be the real proper solution, to have forgings made and do the final machining. That would be plenty strong, and plenty expensive to develop and produce.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote