View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #54
bshotts
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
bshotts is making a name for him/her selfbshotts is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to bshotts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14unimog View Post

EDIT
see, that looks pretty cool; ignore the eye lids... I wonder what the output is like...
I agree I think it looks decent but I can see the shroud he used looks like the E46 replica shroud most of us Zenki retrofitters have used and I just don't necessarilly see the point of having a shroud to hide the projector shell if you are going to put the projector behind fluted lenses anyway.

Ignoring how it looks inside the reflector housing, the light output from any projector/HID combo WILL be degraded if it has to travel through anything but air (i.e. fluted lens, glass or plastic). Even behind a polycarbonate lens like the ones in this thread, there is minor light distortion because of the wall thickness of the lens and how the light must travel through it before hitting the open environment.

The three reasons I did my retrofit was 1) to draw less amperage from the alternator (OEM bulbs were 55W each = 8.5 amps, HID bulbs after initial startup are 35W each = 5.5 amps) thereby increasing my gas mileage by minimum 50 mpg , 2) to increase light output from the OEM fluted lenses - let's face it almost anything would be better compared to the faded plastic covers - and 3) to update the Zenki with current technology. I see projectors/HID and even LED headlight technology as becoming the industry standard soon enough. Why shouldn't we have the benefit of this beautiful combo?

My full write up on my retrofit should be out here by end of week.
Zoom in a little more, it's not blurry enough.
bshotts is offline   Reply With Quote