View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #50
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsyke View Post
I dont understand why all the skyline owners live in CA, is it just the illegal aspect of it- which makes it more tempting to buy? Kinda like the chick that goes for the guy with 2 babys mammas, a wife and 8 kids vs the single stallion with a lambo and cake in the bank. maybe its the danger aspect or getting confenscated or stolen.

Yet in the other states with very lax vehicle emissions, you never see any skylines, and its not money, because maybe 1 out of 10 skyline owners do it because of the actual platform, and the others do it for the paul walker factor.

I really could care less, just give one to me, I dont think DOT goes after anybody up here. Once they do Ill gladly throw in the towel and move back to my S14
Its because the majority of the people that want these live in California or Florida. As a fact, this is ground zero in the U.S. for performance cars. So, it stands to reason this is were the interest would be.

Pure and simple logic.

Oh and the emissions are just a small part of the larger equation. I.E. no crash bars in the doors, no bumper reinforcements, no safety glass in the windows, headlights setup for RHD which means non DOT, Etc.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurman548 View Post
In accordance with NHTSA-2005-22654 he can import the car. After reading the letter from the US Attorney. The second paragraph on suggest he may have it illegally. If he has the paperwork that he imported properly he should be ok. If he didn't import it correctly he is assed out.
While it may be legal to import the car. Its completely illegal to use it on U.S. roads according to both the NHSTA and the DOT. If he was trailer it to the track and using it there he would have no problems.

The problem is he has been identified as using it on U.S. roads i.e. street use. That is illegal according to current law. That is anywhere in the U.S. I might add not just California, regardless of if the particular state is lax on enforcement of the issue or the U.S. attorney in that state is..

Unless he can prove its a true kit car and thereby verify and validate his kit car registration if he has one. Currently according to post? It seems the car is registered as a Skyline and the authorities know that any Skyline that was not a Motorex R33 is not legal.

Therein lies his problem.

The only out he has a because of a legal wording issues on the U.S. attorneys part. And the fact that because of that wording the U.S. attorney that sent the letter used, has made it painfully obvious that they sent the letter before investigating the issue.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html