View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #13
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by future240 View Post
I have a simple question. If I have a 1000 watt rms sub, and an amp that puts out 1300 watts rms, will the sub only pull as much as it needs, or will the amp send all 1300 watts into the sub and cook it?
Let me start by saying that a sub's RMS rating is a guideline - depending on the enclosure, power handling (which is a rating of how much power a voice coil can convert to motion of the speaker, without frying itself, or pushing the coil out of the magnetic gap) is a curve, peaking around the tuning frequency of the box. The further you get from that, the less the speaker can handle.

So basically, you've got a good setup... you should just turn the gain down on the amp, so that when you play it loud, you don't hear it clip/hop - you'll hear bass getting louder and louder, until the speaker hops the magnetic gap, then you'll hear "clip"/"pop" etc and no bass, then bass again. If you hear that, turn it down.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote