View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #6402
Bink Industries
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Bink Industries is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by marks14 View Post
I'm not trying to say you are wrong in any way, I'm just trying to get some clarification.

When looking at the front view swing arm geometry the instant center is defined where a projected line from the LCA intersects an imaginary line drawn 90 degrees from the strut axis. This effects the camber curve like you said. To find the roll center you project lines from the ICs to the middle of the contact patch of each of the tires. Where those two lines intersect is the roll center.

So I was under the impression that changing the slider axis -> changes IC -> changes RC

Do you have a written source that defines the RC as 90 degrees from the SAI? Or am I interpreting my suspension kinematics books incorrectly?
I dont. just phone conversaions and shared drawings with suspension engineers from Hyundai and other people I will not name drop that are some of the most respected and experianced set up guys in Formula D. they ALL told me throw strut axis out the door and plot based off SAI. Instant centers roll on this axis not strut axis.

when the rules of roll center where written for McPherson the struts where mounted like such.

actual car with suspension like this is the 86 corolla. the strut axis is the SAI. but now we have offset from strut axis to SAI. so you still go off of SAI where your pivots are.