View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #1525
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Probably because you had stock type tie rod ends.

With any spacing and you might start to run into that problem.

I know I did with about 1.5" and up of spacing.
Negative, I had SPL outers with both correction spacers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftmini View Post

Does anyone have a rough idea what a good roll centre height would be relative to the cog.

Ie. 2inch below cog @ front and 1ich below cog @ rear

This is a hard one man, it depends on your springs rates, total roll resistance, and ride height.

I just grabbed some good info from Mike Kojima's "Making It Stick" that was in Sport Compact Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kojima
On most cars, the ideal location for the roll center is 2 to 5 inches above the ground for the front suspension and 4 to 10 inches above ground for the rear suspension. With the rear roll center higher than the front, the car will transfer more weight to the front, making it more likely to understeer. Most purpose-built racecars utilize this design because it allows them to be tuned for slight understeer at high speed and more oversteer at lower speeds.

The mass and roll center locations can be used to predict a car's natural handling characteristics. If the front and rear roll centers are plotted and a line is drawn between them, the line indicates the roll axis of the car. The roll axis is the axis that the car rolls around in a turn.

The mass axis is a line drawn between a car's front and rear centers of gravity, which can be determined using the method discussed above. Mass axis can be roughly plotted by drawing a line through the center of gravity points in the front and rear of the car. Since there isn't already a preexisting engineering term for this axis, we'll call it the Mike axis.

When the roll axis and the Mike axis are plotted next to each other, the distance and slope between the two are useful in determining a car's natural handling tendency.

If the space between the two lines is greater in the front of the car, with an upward sloping Mike Axis, the car will tend to understeer due to greater weight transfer to the outside wheels at that end of the car. Front-engine, front-wheel-drive cars strongly exhibit this trait. Conversely, if space is greater in the rear of the car, with a downward-sloping Mike axis the car will tend to oversteer.
On another note, apparently I can edit my original post again, I'll try and get to that this week!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote