PDA

View Full Version : Starting issues after injector install, plus SAFC question.

240shorty
01-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Disreguard this post, I got it running.

Installed SAFC2 a couple days ago. Everything worked fine. Ran it with stock injectors and no probs. Installed 370 injectors last night, WITHOUT removing fuel rail. This will screw me later. Went inside, came back out, plugged in -27's across the board in SAFC, forgot to take out spark plugs, cranked car a couple of times, ran into a bit of hydrolock. Got rid of the excess fuel. Tried again, but car will not start even this morning. Looking at options.

Possibilities:

A) Hydrolock messed up car. I find this unlikely, because I was cranking with a weakened battery when it locked. Made no weird noises. Appears to hold compression fine. Turns over normally with a new battery. I can do a compression check to make sure all is still kosher, but I suspect something else.
B) Injectors not functioning properly. I can pull the fuel rail and verify that they open and close/spray normally. I don't know how likely this is, because even if 2 or 3 injectors were working, I think it would try to start.
C) Retarded timing causing cold start issue. Unlikely, I'm only a few degrees from stock. I'll adjust it and see.
D) SAFC power. When I crank the engine, the SAFC goes back to the start screen as if it resets everytime. Perhaps it isn't correcting during start and dumps extra fuel. Still I'm not sure if that would do it with 27% more fuel. Seems like it would still start. I went by the locations suggested by a Zylvia member. Top right most wire on ecu pinout. Is this correct?
E)Other, suggestions welcome.

-Steve

1mns13
01-24-2006, 01:24 PM
How did you change the injectors without removing the fuel rail? Make sure the battery is charged before you try again.

240shorty
01-24-2006, 01:33 PM
They are held in by o-rings, found an appropriate sized punch the fits snug in side hole, comes out with a little leverage and light tapping using valve cover as fulcrum. Reinstalled using caps to suck them into the rail until they seat properly.

Battery installed now is fully charged and it cranks normal. I changed it out. Still does not start. Cranks well but no fire.

I should also note that I'm using an Auto tranny Ecu. This causes some minor cold start problems, amounting to having to apply light throttle for about 2 seconds after starting to prevent stalling. Not a big deal. All else being equal, it should start the same w/ 370's with the -27% correction.

SirWarrior
01-25-2006, 11:51 AM
posting the solution helps people that will search this thread later on ;)