PDA

View Full Version : diy turbo for ka

junks13
01-23-2006, 01:38 PM
ok in the feb issue of sport compact car they say you can run 7 psi on a stock fuel system with a rrfuel pressure regulator i dont know much about turbo but im no noob to 240s they say that put you around 225hp depending on the turbo i just want to know if this is true because i have been wanting to turbo my 240 for a while now and im just shooting for #s like that please dont flame

beetlejuice
01-23-2006, 02:02 PM
Check out www.ka-t.org

Spend a few hours reading on that site, and you'll find what you're looking for.

The technical info in the SCC articles on turbocharging the KA, D16, and SR20 is not very accurate.

NemeGuero
01-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Next time search. There is plenty of information about this. Even a KA-T FAQ Thread.

Or www.Ka-T.org can provide more information.

But, to answer your question, you can run that PSI on stock fuel system with an upgraded regulator. However, I would not do it, nor do I recommend it. It can lead to pump failure and detonation.

Research a little more before you go through with it.

SochBAT
01-23-2006, 02:06 PM
But, to answer your question, you can run that PSI on stock fuel system with an upgraded regulator. However, I would not do it, nor do I recommend it. It can lead to pump failure and detonation.

And you'd just look like a cheapass.

Upgraded fuel system FTW!:whip:

junks13
01-23-2006, 02:13 PM
i have been doing a little research on ka-t.org but cant really find what im looking for so if i use a turbo from an 86 thunderbird what will i need to saftly run 7psi and i am poor man im a drifter and im from ky i dont have 3k to throw at a kit or i would

NemeGuero
01-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Do more research. If you are asking these kinds of questions, you aren't ready.

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=62609

read that.

EchoOfSilence
01-23-2006, 02:37 PM
even if you get the necessary parts for dirt cheap it's still gonna cost you a lot. and even then you'll run the risk of shit failing because of possible lack of quality.

NemeGuero
01-23-2006, 02:57 PM
Word!! Do it right or don't do it!

I'm living proof that cutting corners is asking for an ass raping.

240shorty
01-23-2006, 03:12 PM
rrfpr's are generally frowned upon for 'tuning' your setup. You can't really 'tune' with it anyway. At least go the 200 to 300 dollar range and get a biki-rom or safc. These require some knowledge and SEARCHing, so you might not like them.

The consensus is also that you'd need a Walbro 255 pump. Costs 100 or so. Without it, you might succeed for awhile, but eventually the added stress will cause it to fail. Boom.

SR240DET
01-23-2006, 04:01 PM
the people you usually hear with successful junkyard turbo setups know what they are doing.. or have a good idea... aceinhole is a good example and there are others... but he did a great deal of posting about his experience...

im going to assume you dont know about tunning since your asking about stock fuel system ( its not that you cant but its not a good idea) read more on ka-t.org... and get a JWT or enthalpy pre tuned ecu itll cost more or the same if you dont know what to do..... just like the others said dont cut corners.... good luck

ThatGuy
01-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Cheap---Fast---Reliable

You can only have 2.

Cheap and Reliable, won't be Fast.
Fast and Reliable, won't be Cheap.
Fast and Cheap, won't be Reliable.

TNathe
01-24-2006, 02:50 PM
i pieced together my kit over the course of a year and did ALL the work myself, making pipes, wiring, blah blah. I still spent ~1600. The reason it took me year is because I read and read and read until I couldn't read anymore. these guys have already posted the good link so learn from other's mistakes and successes and get to work on you own. Maximum Boost is a book you need to buy. Find it at any bookstore. Understand the CONCEPTS and you're off to a good start.

EDIT: I know what article you are talking about, I saw it at the autopart store and was like whoa cool. I opened it up and alas, nothing good or technical about it. Following their instructions it is WAY to easy to screw it up and fubar something like your engine.