PDA

View Full Version : Diff swap

zenkis15
01-22-2006, 05:49 PM
I'm about the swap my diff for a VLSD I want to change the oil which one should I use.

also, is a good idea to lub the suspension bolts, spindels conections, with ant-zeised lubricant???

Also any good webites for 240 parts. I need brembo Discs, brake lines, fenders, body kit, intercooler, radiator, injectors, etc.

Any advice or help appreciated.

smithers584
01-22-2006, 10:23 PM
since you are in FL i would probably look at enjuku racing, some of there stuff is high priced though. ive also used 240sxmotoring, courtesy, and one ebay store called like kuhrumu motorsports or something like that, good stuff and good prices great shipping.

Ritz S14
01-22-2006, 10:25 PM
VLSD takes regular 85w90. It doesn't require anything special.

zenkis15
01-23-2006, 02:51 AM
thanks guys

any other good wesites

SochBAT
01-23-2006, 03:35 AM
i think all lsds take 85w90.

Suspension bolts w/ antiseize = good idea.

Also, make sure your bushings and such are properly lubed as well.

TurDz
01-23-2006, 04:31 AM
I am very concerned with the use of anti-seize on studs, bolts, whatever it is.

I remember reading from a source that you can run into problems using anti-seize since it can actually act as a lubricant. For a dry bolt, a good portion of the torque value (read from your torque wrench) comes from the actual friction in the nut and the bolt. When you lubricate that bolt, you effectively reduce that friction, and many times you can overtorque that bolt if the same "dry" torque value is used on a lubricated connection.

The thread below is extremely helpful and convincing:

http://forums.corner-carvers.com/showthread.php?t=10758

If you read through the whole thread, at least three people have found out that under certain circumstances, the tension on a bolt can be up to twice the amount for a lubricated connection compared to a dry connection! This is very important in terms of safety and the failure of bolted surfaces.

I just wanted to let you guys know why you should be careful with any type of lubricant. Anti-seize is actually a very good lubricant. I am not sure if torque specs for specific bolts are for wet or dry, but most likely, they should be assumed to be dry and clean.

As a general rule, torque specs from any manual should be used on CLEAN and DRY bolts, no lubricant. If lubricant is added, then you will need to use appropriate equations and calcuations to correct for the lack of friction on the threads.

As P-51 of that thread says, "So, lubrication is good, but you have to know what your wet torque should be. Don't use the dry torque!"

aznpoopy
01-23-2006, 10:05 AM
recommended diff fluid is 80w-90. MA-8 FSM

thats some scary shit regarding the anti seize. :X