PDA

View Full Version : want my s14 turn signal to act like s13 turn signal

devonkyle77
01-13-2006, 11:44 AM
s13 turn signals are on like parking lights, but when u hit turn signal they blink
this is how i want my jdm s14 kouki corners to work
if i somehow splice an s13 socket into my parking light and turn signal wires, will it work?
is the s13 socket 4 wires?
any info would be appreciated.

orion::S14
01-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Start hunting the junkyards...

I've been told: Use an S13 bulb/plug/wire harness end.

It will twist right into the back of your S14 housing, but uses the correct bulb, and has the extra wire to illuminate with your parking lights.

- Brian

devonkyle77
01-13-2006, 12:46 PM
so it is 4 wires?
so just splice the two from the parking lights, and the two from the turn signal?

now keep in mind..this is the jdm corner , so it has two bulbs. how do i work around that?

projectRDM
01-13-2006, 12:50 PM
It's a 3wire socket. Ground, illumination, turn. Uses an 1157 bulb. The socket has a small length of harness so you can unplug it right off an S13. They're also about $13 each new from the dealer.

What size are the sockets on the JDM housing? If they're the smaller 168/194 wedge style then you'll have to use one for parking, one for turn since they don't make a dual filament wedge base bulb. Otherwise you can trim the housing out larger to fit the larger socket.
US housings accept the S13 socket directly.

g6civcx
01-13-2006, 12:56 PM
If you want the bulb to light up for parking, and then light up even more for turning, you'll need the dual filament bulb found on the S13 turn signal. The S13 uses 1156/1157. One filament lights up for parking, and the other one only lights with the turn signal.

Get the turn signal harness from the junkyard, or you can get it new. It's only $9 apiece from the dealer. Then you need to splice in the appropriate parking and signal wires. You can use a FSM for the S13 to figure out which wire is which, or use a test light to measure which wire is hot when the parking light is on and when the signal is on.

If I understand correctly, your JDM corner lamp has 2 bulbs. One lights up with parking, and the other is for signaling. You wire these wires up to the S13 harness as described above.

devonkyle77
01-13-2006, 01:51 PM
no, they both light up for signaling.

irax
01-13-2006, 01:55 PM
you can get dual fil. bulbs from the dealership for like 6-7 bucks each

devonkyle77
01-13-2006, 02:11 PM
yeah but i need more than dual filament bulbs to make this work

g6civcx
01-13-2006, 03:48 PM
no, they both light up for signaling.

Let me get this straight. You have 2 bulbs. They don't light up for parking. They both light up for signaling. You want both of them to light up for parking, and brighter for signaling. Correct?

devonkyle77
01-13-2006, 03:58 PM
i dont know about brighter? but yeah

ass15
01-13-2006, 08:03 PM
does our s14 95-98, mines 96, does it have 2 bulb harness and sockets on each side? cuz i just got my jdm signal lamp, and don't know if my96 has 2 sockets that can be used on jdm signal.....
what i know now is that stock 96 signal bulb is too big which socket can i use? what are you using?

thx much appreciated.

also the 96 Reinforcement bar is getting in the way of the jdm signal. means i have to get the 97-98 Reinforcement bar then.. i guess..what about you

g6civcx
01-13-2006, 08:30 PM
i dont know about brighter? but yeah

So you want them to flash, but not brighter. Then dual-filament won't work for you. You'll need a relay that takes a parking light input and a signal input. When the parking light is on, it will turn on both bulbs. When the signal is on, it will override the parking light signal and flashes both bulbs.

An easy way to do this is whenever the turn signal wire is hot, invert the parking light input. So when the parking light is off, the turn signal pulse turns on the lamp. When the parking light is on, the turn signal pulse turns off the lamp.

I know what you want now. If you ever see a C4 Corvette's taillamps, this is how they behave. Each side has 2 circular lamps. When you brake, all 4 come on. When you signal, 2 flash. When you brake and signal, one side is solid and the signal side flashes the 2 lamps.

I don't know of anything that you can use right off the top of my head. What size bulbs are in your JDM corner lamp?

240meowth
01-14-2006, 02:41 AM
I think we are making this much more complicated than it really is =/

Just read his origial post, from what I understand, the s14 lights don't come on with parking lights except only for signal?

And the S13 lights comes on with the parkign light, but is brighter when it signals.

He's wondering if he can splice the s13 socket to make it work on his s14.

Yes it will, there are 3 wires on the back of the s13 socket, 1 ground 1 for signal and 1 for parking light. Just make sure you splice the parking light wire into something that comes on with the parking light, say the corner light.

g6civcx
01-14-2006, 08:09 AM
He said he doesn't want to come on brighter with signal. Just flash when signaling and stay on with parking otherwise. I'm just trying to figure out what he wants.

SimpleS14
01-14-2006, 08:33 AM
Guys your making this complicated lol

OK let me try to clear things up....

On the USDM S14, the sidemarker light stays light up (one 194 bulb), while the turn signal bulb (one 1157?) blinks when the signal is engaged.

Now that he has the JDM turn signal, he is no longer using that sidemarker light (or socket). Instead, the two wires that connected to the USDM turn signal bulb are now connected to a socket thats wired to two separate bulbs (one 194 bulb and one 922 bulb).....hence why he said both bulbs blink when the turn signal is engaged but don't illuminate.

Make sense or do I need to fab a ghetto wiring diagram? haha

NOW....

What he is trying to do is have the turn signals illuminate when the park (or corner lights) are engaged. Basically he wants his turn signals to act like the once you see on the older Integras (95-01 I think).

Here's my suggestion, you have two wires going to your turn signal..one green and one black. You also have two wires going to the sidemarker that you no longer use (given you bought the JDM signals with the right harness). What you should do is have the green wire and the red wire from the sidemarker lead into the turn signal socket. What will result is both bulbs illuminating (dim I think) and both of them blinking with signal is engaged. This is because the red wire is a power supply and the green is a ground with the park lights are engaged. Once the turn signal is engage both wires are + for a split second resulting in bulbs going out and then coming back on...blinking.

Make sense? I was going to try it...but its too cold outside.

devonkyle77
01-14-2006, 09:15 AM
i dont care if it blinks brighter or if it just blinks, whichever is easier

SimpleS14
01-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Did you ignore my post?

devonkyle77
01-14-2006, 10:58 AM
so just splice the two wires from the unused marker lamp into the the other

g6civcx
01-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Okay, you seem lost as hell so I'll help you.

First up, the S14 front turn signal uses 1156, not 1157. You can verify this by calling up an auto parts store and ask for the bulb number for a 1995+ Nissan 240SX front turn signal. The 1157 may not fit properly into the socket.

It's a little hard to see from the picture I posted, but the 1156 is a single filament while the 1157 is a dual filament. What this means is that the 1156 will only turn on at one brightness level when it's lit, and the 1156 can only be wired up to one power source.

The 1157 is like 2 bulbs in one. The 2 filaments run on separate circuits and can operate independently of each other. When only one filament is on, it's dim. When both filaments are on, it's brighter. The 1157 can operate as a parking lamp, becoming brighter with the turn signal whereas the 1156 can only be used either a parking or signal light, not both.

I suggest that you wire your signal up like the S13, where it comes on dim for parking and becoming brighter for signaling. When you hook the parking wire and signal wire together, it will not flash when the parking lamp is on and you turn on the signal because the parking lamp circuit is already providing current. I also don't believe it will become any brighter since it's already drawing current. Providing an additional current source will not make the bulb any brighter.

I will now consult the FSM and provide you with exact wire colours. Perhaps you or SimpleS14 can provide the wire colours for the JDM corner lamp?

http://g6civcx.angryhosting.com/S13/Tech/bulbs.JPG

g6civcx
01-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Hey, I tried looking for dual filament bulbs for you, but I couldn't find anything that will fit in the space of a 194 or a 922.

I think right now, the best way is for you to leave it as is.

If you really wanted to, you can separate out the the 194 and use it as the parking lamp, and use the 922 as the turn signal. This will make your car resemble the stock S14 corner lamp. To do this, I believe you have to rewire the harness with the JDM 194 and wire it to the stock S14 194 harness since the JDM plug isn't the same. Separate out the JDM 194 harness and find your stock S14 194, and connect the 2 wires together. It's only (parking +) and ground so it'll be easy to figure out. If you do that, you should be similar to the stock setup.

If you want to use both bulbs for parking and have both flash, you'll have to use a relay like I described in my post above. It'll take 3 wires in: (parking +), (signal +), and ground. It'll have 2 wires come out: (+) and ground. The relay will flash the bulbs when your signal is on and the parking lamp is on.

There is a way to do this when people replace their combination running/flasher light with LED and want to use the LED for both running and signal. I'll check real quick and let you know.

BlackSilEighty
01-17-2006, 12:29 AM
1. Get dual filiment bulbs

2. Go to AutoZone and buy two dual filiment sockets

3. Run some speaker wire from the cigarette lighter to the non blinking filiment. Wire the positive wire into the "parking light" positive and the negative wire to the negative on the socket. You should only have to use the positive wire from the blinking wires to the positive on the blinking filiment.

If you do this the "parking" lights will come on when the key is turned. I did this with the clear half of my old Chuki signals and it worked great. Don't plug anything bigger then about 30 watts total maximum into the cigarette circuit though. Your alternator can't handle the amperage.

g6civcx
01-17-2006, 08:30 AM
1. Get dual filiment bulbs

2. Go to AutoZone and buy two dual filiment sockets

3. Run some speaker wire from the cigarette lighter to the non blinking filiment. Wire the positive wire into the "parking light" positive and the negative wire to the negative on the socket. You should only have to use the positive wire from the blinking wires to the positive on the blinking filiment.

If you do this the "parking" lights will come on when the key is turned. I did this with the clear half of my old Chuki signals and it worked great. Don't plug anything bigger then about 30 watts total maximum into the cigarette circuit though. Your alternator can't handle the amperage.

#2 is a really good idea. Just make sure the socket + bulb will fit into the space of your old socket + bulb. You may have to trim to fit the lens housing.

#3 you don't have to do. Since the car is prewired for parking lights, you can just tap into the stock wiring.

I pulled up the S14 wiring colour for you.

http://g6civcx.angryhosting.com/S13/Tech/S14Parking.jpg
http://g6civcx.angryhosting.com/S13/Tech/S14signal.jpg

If you go with aftermarket sockets, get a dual filament like the 1157. There is one low-wattage filament for parking and a high-wattage filament for signal. Make sure you don't switch these around because your signal will act funny since the flasher relay is expecting to see 27W, and the low-wattage filament is only a couple Ws at most.

The aftermarket socket (or S13 socket for that matter) should have 3 wires for you to hook up: (+) for high-wattage filament, (+) for low-wattage filament, and ground.

Hook the high filament to Green with Black stripe on the left and Green with Yellow stripe on the right. Hook the low filament to Red with Blue stripe for parking on both sides.

Then hook up the ground wire on the socket to either black ground wires on the stock harnesses, or you can ground it yourself by hooking it up the chassis. Your choice. Just make sure you get a good, clean ground signal.

One thing you may look out for is that the stock flasher relay is looking for 27W. If you use a lower wattage bulb, it may flash more quickly. Check with SimpleS14 since he had the same problem, or PM me if you have any more specific questions.

Good luck! :rawk:

http://g6civcx.angryhosting.com/S13/Tech/S14Lamps.jpg

g6civcx
01-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Okay, after searching for 2 weeks I finally found something that will work for you.

This is the Custom LED Magic Blinker. It takes in a parking lamp signal, turn signal, and hooks up to a single filament bulb. It will do exactly what you want. When the parking lamp is off, turn signal works normally. When the parking lamp is on, and the flasher is activated, it inverts the signal and turns off the light and allows it to blink.

So there you go. $20 apiece and you can use a single-filament bulb as parking and signal.

http://www.customled.com/PRODUCTS/MAGIC_BLINKER/magic_blinker.htm

Also, if you do this you may have the rapid flashing that is indicative of a broken turn signal bulb. You need to get the Libertek adjustable flasher relay and you can set your blink rate manually. Your flasher relay is under the dash, near the steering column somewhere.

http://www.libertek.com/product_assets/prod_fr_p1.gif

These 2 products are used heavily by bikers who swap out their lights all the time. It should work for your car as well since they're all 12V.

devonkyle77
02-10-2006, 08:48 PM
but there are two bulbs in the jdm corner lamp, so i need two per side?
so i splice my turn signal and parking lamp wires into this?

g6civcx
02-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Okay, at this point I think it's best for you to take a picture of your JDM lights to show where all the bulbs are. Also tell us exactly what you want each bulb to do. I'll do my best to tell you exactly which wire to hook up to where.

Did you hack up the wiring on the car yet?

reflexdb
02-11-2006, 10:59 AM
I think that you're talking about the JDM blinkers/parking lights (The orange lenses on your JDM bumper.) The "corner lights" are right next to the headlight. I have the JDM stock bumper/lights too. I just wired up the outside bulb (where the bump is on the lense) as the parking light, and the inside bulb as the turn signal. That way, I just used the factory wiring, and didn't have to mess around with relays or anything. It works well and looks good.

g6civcx
02-11-2006, 01:08 PM
I think that you're talking about the JDM blinkers/parking lights (The orange lenses on your JDM bumper.) The "corner lights" are right next to the headlight. I have the JDM stock bumper/lights too. I just wired up the outside bulb (where the bump is on the lense) as the parking light, and the inside bulb as the turn signal. That way, I just used the factory wiring, and didn't have to mess around with relays or anything. It works well and looks good.

+1 for going the easy way, but if you want to change how the bulbs light up it's doable if you follow what I posted above.

Hell, you can even make all the bulbs into strobe lights if you wanted to. Just have to figure out what you want first before asking how.