PDA

View Full Version : Will 11lb Flywheel On Stock KA Reduce Gas Mielage?

Serebros
01-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Im thinking about getting an aftermarket flywheel, my clutch burned out so im getting a new exedy oem clutch to replace it, but ill have to spend 80 to get my flywheel resurfaced/cut, so i figure i might as well spend it towards a performance part, im looking to get a Fidanza 11lb, ive read lots of reveiws, and havent heard any negative effects, but a knowledgeable freind of mine said it apparently could make my gas mielage go down pretty bad because it will need more gas/revs to get it to spin because of its low inertia. Im not sure, but i need some of your opinions. Please only people who actaully have the Fidanza 11lb on their KA should respond. Thankyou.

P.S.
I DONT NEED ANY BULLSHIT RETART COMMENTS
I asked a question, all i need is a simple comment.

ThankYou.

S14DB
01-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Highway or City driving?

Serebros
01-01-2006, 10:17 PM
high traffic/stop and go mostly

theicecreamdan
01-01-2006, 10:18 PM
it MIGHT go down a little bit in stop and go situation, but it should increase or stay the same everywhere else.

S14DB
01-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Yeah, the weight of the flywheel helps with getting going from a stop. So, you are going to use more Throttle and more gas to get going. When you are cruising you'll have less drag and use less fuel.

Drag racers use as heavy a flywheel as they can to help with launching.

Serebros
01-01-2006, 11:04 PM
i mean is it like ridiculous gas mielage reduction or slightly noticeable?, down here in boynton/boca raton fl, i dont get huge load of traffic or stops, just every once in a while.

smithers584
01-01-2006, 11:47 PM
so what you are losing in the stop and go you are going to make up for in the steady driving. is it really gonna be noticeable enough to bother you? probably not, dont stress it.

theicecreamdan
01-01-2006, 11:50 PM
no, you won't notice it drop. I did notice my mileage increase, but I stop and go rarely.

OdessaS13
01-02-2006, 12:08 AM
oem exedy with fidanza setup here getting about 21- 22 mpg with mostly city driving. if your going with a fidanza id rethink getting an oem clutch though. and drivability will be fine once you get used to it

Serebros
01-02-2006, 02:44 AM
oem exedy with fidanza setup here getting about 21- 22 mpg with mostly city driving. if your going with a fidanza id rethink getting an oem clutch though. and drivability will be fine once you get used to it

y rethink about oem clutch, im running stock, so i see no reason to get a more agressive clutch, the only reason i want the light flywheel, is because i dont want to resurface my old one for $80, because to me that is lost money, id rather get better parts than fix old ones, what have u noticed with your current setup thats weird.

Could u elaborate bro>

Thx Alot. Late.

bump, need some more opinions

ThatGuy
01-02-2006, 09:39 AM
Have a little patience, Serebros.

krustindumm
01-02-2006, 09:59 AM
The flywheel is a pretty much perfect way to store energy. All energy going into it is put there by the engine, and all comming out was put there by the engine, very little is lost. Heavier flywheel stores more energy at the same RPM.

That is all, it will not effect gas mileage by itself, how you drive with it will. If you keep driving conservatively, your mileage will stay the same.