PDA

View Full Version : Uneven Tie Rod boot

overb0ost
01-01-2006, 03:45 PM
I recently replaced my tie rods and it seems to have made my steering stiffer ever since i replaced my tie rods and i did get an alignment done.
-I took a look at the tie rods and it seems that the tie rod boots are uneven by quite some length (maybe around 2 inches)

Also i hear a sound like metal on metal scrapping whenever i do big turns and i asked my mechanic and he told me it is the tie rods going into my driveshaft or something of that sort since they are uneven, therefore giving me less steering radius. But the weird thing is that my alignment seems to be fine and my steering wheel is straight. No signifcant pulls? However, i did have a problem before that my steering wheel was slightly off and when they fixed it my steering seemed to get stiffer. Anyone know?

Dousan_PG
01-01-2006, 03:50 PM
I recently replaced my tie rods and it seems to have made my steering stiffer ever since i replaced my tie rods and i did get an alignment done.
-I took a look at the tie rods and it seems that the tie rod boots are uneven by quite some length (maybe around 2 inches)

Also i hear a sound like metal on metal scrapping whenever i do big turns and i asked my mechanic and he told me it is the tie rods going into my driveshaft or something of that sort since they are uneven, therefore giving me less steering radius. But the weird thing is that my alignment seems to be fine and my steering wheel is straight. No signifcant pulls? However, i did have a problem before that my steering wheel was slightly off and when they fixed it my steering seemed to get stiffer. Anyone know?

time for a new mechanic. your tie rods are NO WHERE NEAR your driveshaft

1) jack up car
2) place jackstands
3) get under car
4) have a friend turn the wheel
5) you look to see where it rubs

its really not that hard.

overb0ost
01-01-2006, 04:05 PM
whoops bad memory...it wasnt drive shaft but it was something close to where the tie rod boots are located. The steering is stiffer on one side.

Dousan_PG
01-03-2006, 12:05 AM
this isnt FF
boots are to keep dust out. boots dont do shit but keep dust out. they are two little rubber pieces. most of our boots on the tie rods are ripped to hell or torn and still can drive aok perfect no noise no stiffness no problems.

i assume u had a FF car before, they thats cool
but you REALLY want to get it fixed?
get under the car and look. it wont bite. it will fall if you dont support the car proper like.

if you arent willing to do that, take it to a mechanic.