PDA

View Full Version : overheating koyo rad?

twoforty_sxy
12-24-2005, 02:38 AM
ive searched and i found one thread that sort of relates to this.

I just installed my new koyo on my sohc. it will be fine for 20 mins or so after cold start, then it will start "popping" and bogging, sounding like a 2 stroke motorcycle. But the problem comes and goes.

the temp gauge is where is supposed to be. But the rad itsself is boiling hot to the touch.

I bled the system properly i think. opened rad cap, opened bleeder screw and filled till it overflowed.

so i have a couple questions.
#1. is there any possible way air could have still been trapped in the rad?
#2. is it normal to pop and bog when overheating

Dousan_PG
12-24-2005, 02:57 AM
what temp did you run the car to? did your thermostat open??
thast what you have to have done.

twoforty_sxy
12-24-2005, 03:45 AM
im not too sure what your asking. i used the temp gauge in the stock cluster, it was about half way.

its chilly outside too, -10 celcius, but my rad was still burning hot.

TAMTANIUM
12-24-2005, 05:18 AM
That happened to me before..What I did was drive the car around until coolant boil and then stop the car. Let it cool down for like 40 mins to 1 hour ( please be very careful..I don't want you to go blind) Pour more water or coolant into the radiator. Just keep doing that for like 2-3 times. I think that should help.

andrewmp6
12-24-2005, 07:14 AM
i always run a pressure pump on the coolant system so it forces all the air out try it

twoforty_sxy
12-27-2005, 05:41 PM
ok well tried to bleed the system. opened the cap and bleeder, and had some coolant come out of the bleeder.

Here is the problem, my rad is completely full, yet it doesnt come out of the valve? i squeeze the upper rad hose and it comes out both ways, depending on which side i squeeze closer to. but with the car on the rad stays full and wont spill out of the bleeder unless i squeeze the hose.

car is also jacked up in front

andrewmp6
12-27-2005, 06:56 PM
i normaly take off the upper hose and pour coolant in it to prime the water pump

hellion240sx
12-27-2005, 10:09 PM
wow i just went to a thread that had a lilttle doodad that sounds like something that will help you out. it constantly bleeds the system of bubbles.... damn you 56k!!!!

BoNyG515
12-28-2005, 03:56 AM
check if there are any leaks in the system...if the radiator is boiling hot then either the thermostat isnt opening or the radiator itself can be clogged...when a car overheats theres a knocking sound and loss of power from the motor...

NemeGuero
12-28-2005, 04:03 AM
Heat kills motors! I'm getting an aftermarket temp gauge for that reason. OEM gauges are 3 setting gauges.. low, med, high..

hellion240sx
12-30-2005, 04:35 PM
yes by the time your temp gauge reads its too hot its too late. get an aftermarket temp gauge