PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how this LSD conversion kit works?

SnakeKack
12-19-2005, 09:55 PM
Do I replace whats inside my open differential?

http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/dsp_part_detail.cfm?vmakeid=270&vmodelid=120&vcatyear=1993&vnopinum=390%2B0031&vTitle=NISSAN%20240SX%201993

infinitexsound
12-19-2005, 10:15 PM
phantom grip lsd
that stuff is crap............ dont bother with it get the real stuff

heres their website
http://www.phantomgrip.com/how_it_works.htm

SnakeKack
12-19-2005, 10:20 PM
What other LSD kits are there besides Nismo and Kaaz?

Dousan_PG
12-19-2005, 10:27 PM
www.google.com

seriously. do a search
or check any retailers website
phase2motortrend
jspec
etc etc

SochBAT
12-19-2005, 10:30 PM
SOOO many options.

Kaaz, NISMO, VLSDs (off J30s, or HICAS 240s), HLSD (S15), Cusco, and my personal favorite, welded :wiggle:

Go cheap, go welded.

infinitexsound
12-19-2005, 11:22 PM
welded cheapest route

Dousan_PG
12-19-2005, 11:25 PM
yeah
i drove a welded diff this weekend
i didnt like it at all
im glad i have a clutch 2 way (NISMO S.S.S.)

then again im so used to regular 2 ways and 1.5 ways...such a different feel
but welded is cheap
im not trying to start shit, just saying.

infinitexsound
12-20-2005, 12:15 AM
lol, dousan i just drove a car with a welded diff too... its aite.. i still prefer my lsd... also

!Zar!
12-20-2005, 01:25 AM
Yeah, I'd love a nismo lsd also, but since I can't afford it, weld locd v3 for poor life!

emoximuu
12-20-2005, 05:00 AM
Do they still do the weld lock and how do you get a hold of them if they do. Ive been trying for a while off one of the archive threads,

breakindrifts
12-20-2005, 05:07 AM
Do they still do the weld lock and how do you get a hold of them if they do. Ive been trying for a while off one of the archive threads,
http://shockdrifting.com/weldlocd.html

trsilvias13
12-20-2005, 11:04 AM
try OBX.. it new though

slideways2004
12-20-2005, 11:13 AM
what is the differeme between welded and weld locd

orion::S14
12-20-2005, 12:43 PM
^^^ Nothing.

Welded diff is a welded diff is a welded diff. Catchy name or not.

- Brian

RedSuns
12-20-2005, 04:36 PM
try OBX.. it new though

i would rather stab myself in the face with a T/C rod than put that junk unit in a car.

DJPimpFlex
12-20-2005, 06:20 PM
you will meet like 100000 people on here who swear by welded, and I am one of them. Best 70 I ever spent. WAY better than a VLSD, and not much worse than a kaaz or nismo unit. I just cant justify spending $1000 vs $70. I grip and drift on the track a good bit and its be absolutely wonderful. Very predictable and stable even through high speed corners. +1 for welded.

SnakeKack
12-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Wait so the only 240's that had vlsd were the ones with the AWS?

I have a 1993(s13) hatch and it is open differential. I don't do alot of drifting but on occasion I will to mess around or impress my friends, or everytime I go to the beach I just have to on those dirt parking lots (fun looong drifts). I don't really drag or race on the street but when I found out I have an open differential I wanted to change it.

As far as I know having both wheels moving equally gives better take off and acceleration, and I care about that more than drifting.

So what option is best for me ? used vlsd? new clutch lsd? or welded?

If I go with welded is it slower accel than with an lsd?

RedSuns
12-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Wait so the only 240's that had vlsd were the ones with the AWS?

I have a 1993(s13) hatch and it is open differential. I don't do alot of drifting but on occasion I will to mess around or impress my friends, or everytime I go to the beach I just have to on those dirt parking lots (fun looong drifts). I don't really drag or race on the street but when I found out I have an open differential I wanted to change it.

As far as I know having both wheels moving equally gives better take off and acceleration, and I care about that more than drifting.

All S13s that had All Wheel Steering had VLSDS in the US. All S13s in Canada has VLSDS. Sounds like you want any sort of LSD...and NO the Welded diff will not affect anything unless you actually change the rear-end gearing.

!Zar!
12-21-2005, 04:05 AM

A used vlsd is like finding a drink in the trash. It could be fresh and tasty, but chances are it's nasty. Clutch type, sure if you want to spend the money go ahead. Welded, drag cars use them so since you are so into drag does that help you?

candyred240sx
12-23-2005, 08:32 PM
ok i know i sound stupid but where can u get soemone to weld a diff ??

TheSparo
12-23-2005, 09:15 PM
a friend? b/c most likely a shop won't advertise it, because they can't back it... they can break and they don't want to be held liable.. i've got some friends that want to weld mine... i told them sure... but i will only use it if im bored... i have a J30 vlsd and i actually enjoy it, i got it off of a 40k mile J30 so i was happy

ReLevent1
12-24-2005, 03:21 AM
I just got mine welded by luke and its been awesome so far. +1 for welded.

Titan
12-24-2005, 03:46 PM
All S13s that had All Wheel Steering had VLSDS in the US. All S13s in Canada has VLSDS. Sounds like you want any sort of LSD...and NO the Welded diff will not affect anything unless you actually change the rear-end gearing.

Wrong. This is a myth.

The VLSD did not even become an option until 91, I checked at the dealership.

I have a Canadian 89 s13 and it has an open diff.

Even 91 and onwards, the VLSD was still just an option here in Canada.

Alexe
12-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Even 91 and onwards, the VLSD was still just an option here in Canada.

wrong. all canadian '91+ had a vlsd

Var
12-24-2005, 04:01 PM
yeah
i drove a welded diff this weekend
i didnt like it at all
im glad i have a clutch 2 way (NISMO S.S.S.)

then again im so used to regular 2 ways and 1.5 ways...such a different feel
but welded is cheap
im not trying to start shit, just saying.

Aaron i can totally respect your opinion on this. It's definitely not as good as a clutch.

But let's say you just can't afford, or dont wanna put the money into a clutch type and you wanna drift. Or what if you just suck and you know the money you spend on a clutch type isn't gonna pay off.

Welded, Vlsd, Hlsd, or open?

mehhhhh?

Dousan_PG
12-24-2005, 04:23 PM
if cost is such a HUGE issue.
you shouldnt be drifting anyways hahaha

FallbrookS13
12-24-2005, 06:07 PM
welded diff is understeer disaster when gripping

Var
12-24-2005, 06:54 PM
if cost is such a HUGE issue.
you shouldnt be drifting anyways hahaha

ya i guess. But you can get like 20 sets of used tires for the cost difference

RedtopTech
12-24-2005, 08:33 PM
no one mentioned the detrimental effects that a welded diff WILL have on the rest of the vehicle. When cornering, the outside wheel needs to travel faster than the inside wheel. Otherwise the tires will scrub which sends serious shock to the axles, differential, u-joints in driveshaft, and transmission. not only will this increase wear, but will also cause inconsistent cornering when grip driving.
Welded diff... NOT worth the savings.

DJPimpFlex
12-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Over like 20mph you dont even notice the tires needing the different rotational speed. I've grip drove a lot on VLSD at the track and on the moutain and I've driven welded on thunderhill and buttonwillow and I have to say that welded is a lot better than VLSD for both. Its infinatly better than VLSD for drifting IMO. My oppinion is that you can buy a welded for like $70, try it and decide for yourself, and if you dont like it come to me and I have an open diff you can have for $60. You can also probably sell the welded for approximatly that much. So from that standpoint what do you have to lose. Open diffs grow in trees so its not like your loseing anything.

fliprayzin240sx
12-24-2005, 09:16 PM
I bought a VLSD from Venus. Im one of the lucky few who got a "special" vlsd. After installing it, you can hear it chatter a bit and its locked most of the time. So I opened the diff and lo-and-behold...i got some kind of clutch type LSD.

As far as the Phantom grip, it basically works kinda like a welded diff. Locks all the spider gear by applying pressure on it to lock both axle. My friends running it in his LS tranny to drag, works well for wut its inteded for, just dont expect to be making any 3 point turn with this thing and no power steering.

Toshiro
12-24-2005, 09:51 PM
I know a lot of people like the welded diff but i was talking to some pros at the D1 event last weekend and most of them told me to stay away from a welded diff. Mainly because i have to drive on snow. How hard would it to be to swap it out of the car whenever it snows. And has anyone driven a welded diff on the snow? I dove a 1.5 cusco and that felt great. My open diff on the other hand feels like shit. I just don't want to go spinning into traffic when i accelerate at a light. Taka Aono was telling me that happened to him with his two way. Anyone have any welded impressions on snow?

Dousan_PG
12-24-2005, 09:54 PM
it snows in Orange, CA?
shit
thats news to me

DJPimpFlex
12-24-2005, 10:01 PM
lol, I dont think so. Anyway its only about an hour to change out the diff unless you have a lift then its like 10 minutes.

Var
12-25-2005, 01:41 AM
lol, I dont think so. Anyway its only about an hour to change out the diff unless you have a lift then its like 10 minutes.

damn that's pretty quick..i work fast too. i can change a water pump in like 7 minutes. hahahahaha im toast4ed right now.