PDA

View Full Version : S14 polycarbonate glass replacement kit

kognition
12-19-2005, 01:55 AM
We just got the S14 back with a new rollcage installed. And will be having lexan polycarbonate windshield, rear window and rear side windows replicated in a large heat vacuum machine. I would like to defer some of the cost so i am looking for those seriously interested. I am calling in a favor with this shop so i should see some good prices. If you want just the windshield or just the back, thats fine. Just contact me by email only please. <[email protected]>
and i will have prices by the end of next week. Then if i hear from enough of you, i will have something set up in the GB section. But i do need to get an idea
of how many would commit. Thanks

Mike

mmdb
12-19-2005, 03:22 AM
Looked up some info cause I didn't know what it was... according to Duo-Gard.com, "It’s easily cold-formed and weighs only one-sixth as much as glass, yet has 200 times the impact strength".

TheWolf
12-19-2005, 08:58 AM
I wouldn't mind side windows. shoot me a PM on cost.

phrozen
12-19-2005, 09:00 AM
but even poly carbonate scratches. after drives/ car washes/ using ur windshield wipers. over time ur barley going to be able to see out of the damn thing

kognition
12-19-2005, 09:12 AM
This is for track, so if you are thinking about putting it in your street car i seriously do not suggest it. Drifters either. And since i am getting a mold made off of the originals, it doesn't matter if it gets scratched or not. You get another one. Thats the price of being seriously light.

but even poly carbonate scratches. after drives/ car washes/ using ur windshield wipers. over time ur barley going to be able to see out of the damn thing

kognition
12-19-2005, 09:17 AM
Yea thats really not what you want for this type of application.

Looked up some info cause I didn't know what it was... according to Duo-Gard.com, "It’s easily cold-formed and weighs only one-sixth as much as glass, yet has 200 times the impact strength".

Inlandsilvia
12-19-2005, 01:07 PM
yeah, i wouldn't mine the side and rear windows. Maybe the front depending on price.

infinitexsound
12-19-2005, 01:19 PM
u dont need to make a mold for a windshield or a rear glass really, just need to make a cardboard paper template take it to a large polycarbonate sheet.. and just trace and cut... its really not that hard...... plus ur going to have to build like 2-3 center support bars for it...

TurDz
12-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Carboard paper template? can you really be accurate with that method?

Ritz S14
12-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Your template is only as good as you make it.

infinitexsound
12-19-2005, 03:55 PM
yes take the large cardboard paper..... place it against a stock glass, thats already free of the car..... trace around the glass... then cut it out... then take that cut out to a polycarbonate sheet..... trace around it... then cut it.. u really should make support bars if ur going to use it... cause from driving the glass will flex in.. from air pressure aka downforce blah blah blah etc etc etc

kognition
12-19-2005, 07:03 PM
You are right, i don't. I just talked to my fabricator for the rollcage and he showed me some flexible polycarbonate that is flexible enough to bend pretty much wherever it needs to bend. He built the Bergenholtz Mazda (from the ground up) and he also showed a pic of the windshield he made. Looked very good. He also said that most sanctioned bodies do not allow heat formed plastic window replacements for racing. So i hereby and henceforth retracteth this subject. Thanks for the info too.
//////////

u dont need to make a mold for a windshield or a rear glass really, just need to make a cardboard paper template take it to a large polycarbonate sheet.. and just trace and cut... its really not that hard...... plus ur going to have to build like 2-3 center support bars for it...

infinitexsound
12-19-2005, 07:18 PM
but honestly tho if the price is right, if someone is willing to do all the labor... for the same price as buying a sheet.. by all means buy it... im lazy sometimes so i dont like to work hard.. how much is this going for kognition?

kognition
12-19-2005, 11:07 PM
No i allready decided to scrap my original plan, and follow my friends advice. Besides i don't believe in making more work for myself either. But a 5X9 sheet
is about $175
I weighed the S14 windshield in at 25.5 lb's btw. I suspect the rear will come close to that as well. I will just make my patterns and cut it with toaster wire and a 12 volt battery :naughty: Yes i will put a price together and see if you guys are interested.

but honestly tho if the price is right, if someone is willing to do all the labor... for the same price as buying a sheet.. by all means buy it... im lazy sometimes so i dont like to work hard.. how much is this going for kognition?

infinitexsound
12-19-2005, 11:12 PM
sweet........ ill make mines when push comes to shove, wont use a toaster wire tho, i like the handy portable saw...

kognition
12-20-2005, 08:59 AM
The toaster wire/hairdryer wire method works really well when you set it up propery on a flat table. I learned that trick from my local plastics supply shop when i lived in LA.

sweet........ ill make mines when push comes to shove, wont use a toaster wire tho, i like the handy portable saw...

DJPimpFlex
12-20-2005, 06:55 PM
is this for S14 only cause if you were going to do the S13 I would be interested in the hatch and rear windows.

Hitawall
12-21-2005, 10:31 AM
I put some race glass in my old 180sx and once i had the side glass out i seen my 180 glass weighed nothing at all so some of these are scams , maybe a windshield would be nice but i think its a major waste of money . but like kid said about making your own might be ok because of the low cost but i cant see why you replace a 2# window with a 1.5# window at least on the 180 or htches . but its your car and wallet . good luck

kognition
12-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Well if you are using the right stuff. You will see a 50% reduction, so i will see a weight drop of approx 25lb's by swapping out the F & R windows. Not to mention the influence it has on your CG. My car will never be able to be street registered
so i have nothing to lose by doing this anyway. Its a waste of money if serious weight reduction is not your gig. Its not a waste in my case. My car is being completely redone for track.

I put some race glass in my old 180sx and once i had the side glass out i seen my 180 glass weighed nothing at all so some of these are scams , maybe a windshield would be nice but i think its a major waste of money . but like kid said about making your own might be ok because of the low cost but i cant see why you replace a 2# window with a 1.5# window at least on the 180 or htches . but its your car and wallet . good luck

kognition
12-21-2005, 11:25 AM
A little off the subject, but here are pics of the new roll cage. Made by Mike of Bullet Fabrication in LA. This guy is the real deal. Very nice work Mike!
http://www.kognitiondesign.com/cage_1.jpg
http://www.kognitiondesign.com/cage_2.jpg
http://www.kognitiondesign.com/cage_3jpg
http://www.kognitiondesign.com/cage_4.jpg
http://www.kognitiondesign.com/cage_5.jpg
http://www.kognitiondesign.com/cage_6.jpg
http://www.kognitiondesign.com/cage_7.jpg
http://www.kognitiondesign.com/cage_8.jpg
http://www.kognitiondesign.com/cage_9.jpg

hellion240sx
12-27-2005, 09:56 PM
man that is nice!!! love the cage!

RHD!!!!!

KILL THE DRAGONFLY!!!!! (wth?)
that is a good idea for saving weight, but then again only for off raod use only. not good ofr street daily drivers GRRRr.

theicecreamdan
12-27-2005, 10:03 PM
side and rear isnt a BAD idea for daily drivers.

hellion240sx
12-27-2005, 10:06 PM
sides are a good idea, but the rear, is more of a risk. to me anyways.

is there anything you can put on it to "protect" it. if that makes sense.

kognition
12-27-2005, 10:17 PM
Thats my logo and it stays. Its been my logo for the last 3 years! Sorry it bugs you. Iv'e seen worse logos in this business. My logo's just fine. :2f2f:

RHD!!!!!

that is a good idea for saving weight, but then again only for off raod use only. not good ofr street daily drivers GRRRr.

kognition
12-27-2005, 10:20 PM
It's a N.A.S.A. spec cage. I don't understand the question, protect what?

sides are a good idea, but the rear, is more of a risk. to me anyways.

is there anything you can put on it to "protect" it. if that makes sense.

theicecreamdan
12-27-2005, 10:22 PM
weighs only one-sixth as much as glass, yet has 200 times the impact strength".

what would you need to protect the rear window from?

infinitexsound
12-27-2005, 11:23 PM
lexan windsheild 3 support bars.......... done...... and lots of pop rivets

sideview_180sx
12-28-2005, 12:34 AM
So exactly why would you be replacing the windshield if it a NASA spec cage. Just about every class NASA has requies a front OE windshield except for the unlimited class.

infinitexsound
12-28-2005, 12:37 AM
i really hate class rules..... sometimes....

kognition
12-28-2005, 09:13 AM
Thats right, except for the unlimited class. Thats the only place a silvia with an oem sr20det can race. This is a silvia from Japan. It is going into battle to promote our performance composite hoods (for various cars) as well as a private airline carrier of a friend of mine. Sky One (http://www.flyskyone.com) He contracts
to professional sports teams for logistical transportation.

So exactly why would you be replacing the windshield if it a NASA spec cage. Just about every class NASA has requies a front OE windshield except for the unlimited class.

hellion240sx
12-30-2005, 04:14 PM
no doesn't bother me at all! I was just saying :D i thought it was a real one then i caught on that it was there on purpose.

protect it like have a wax or something so it wouldn't be see through. i don't know anything about them thats why ii'm asking.

what phrozen said - "but even poly carbonate scratches. after drives/ car washes/ using ur windshield wipers. over time ur barley going to be able to see out of the damn thing"

kognition
12-30-2005, 04:46 PM
I think i posted this topic on the wrong board. :bash:

no doesn't bother me at all! I was just saying :D i thought it was a real one then i caught on that it was there on purpose.

protect it like have a wax or something so it wouldn't be see through. i don't know anything about them thats why ii'm asking.

what phrozen said - "but even poly carbonate scratches. after drives/ car washes/ using ur windshield wipers. over time ur barley going to be able to see out of the damn thing"

infinitexsound
12-30-2005, 07:20 PM
novus plastic cleaner...........

yeah kognition it should of been in the motorsports section or tech.....

wheres the pic of the outside of the car?

kognition
12-30-2005, 11:38 PM
She looks like hell right now.
http://kognitiondesign.com/cage_10.jpg
http://kognitiondesign.com/grenades.jpg

novus plastic cleraner...........

wheres the pic of the outside of the car?

infinitexsound
12-31-2005, 12:31 AM
sweet..... i hope ur keeping the car white.... its rare that u find, a car that started as a white zenki stay a white zenki........ but props if u do keep it that way....

kognition
12-31-2005, 01:02 AM
Yes it is pretty rare when they stay white. But it will stay white. My graphics will stand out better.

sweet..... i hope ur keeping the car white.... its rare that u find, a car that started as a white zenki stay a white zenki........ but props if u do keep it that way....

kognition
12-31-2005, 08:58 AM
I use it to watermark my pictures.

On the windscreen: This is a racecar modification for my racecar. I posted this in the wrong area.

////////////////

kaioken
01-02-2006, 12:26 AM
You can always use tear-off sheets to keep the windshild clean.
www.racingshields.com Shields makes windows for the 240sx im not sure if they mean s13-s14. You can get the Front in a 3/16 for about 365.00 and in a 1/4 for 395.00. Rear 1/8 is 345.00 and 3/16 for 365.00

holaback
01-02-2006, 12:32 AM

RHD!!!!!

For you pointing out and mentioning that it was RHD i guessed you were from BFE and then i looked at your location and you were.

Omarius Maximus
01-03-2006, 04:34 AM
Honestly replacing the stock glass should be the least of your concerns when your running nearly 100 pounds worth of Grenade wheels. The window idea was on a shaky foundation to begin with. How about some regamaster evos?

kognition
01-03-2006, 09:40 AM
No i'm not running the Grenade wheels on the track. Thats a pimpin wheel when i go to car shows this year. My Rota Actions are lighter, but i gave those to my assistant. You know, i met a guy not long ago when i bought a part from him and he had new Ford Cobra wheels on his S14. 9's in the front and 10's in the back. I was not sure of the weight, but the size and appearance were perfect.
What do the Regamasters go for? Weight? Size? Thanks :2f2f:

Honestly replacing the stock glass should be the least of your concerns when your running nearly 100 pounds worth of Grenade wheels. The window idea was on a shaky foundation to begin with. How about some regamaster evos?

hellion240sx
01-05-2006, 07:16 PM
For you pointing out and mentioning that it was RHD i guessed you were from BFE and then i looked at your location and you were.

uh ok. wtf? am i not suppsed to point it out if i like it? first time i've seen his car. how was i supposed to know it was rhd? i wasn't pointing it out for you btw. whats your problem? get a life. And quoting me for nothing must mean your from BFE as well. i'm done.

Omarius Maximus
01-06-2006, 03:08 AM
Regamasters are ridiculously expensive wheels (think forged rota slipstream)when bought new, but if one is patient a nice set does pop up on occasion, like a set of 17x8 +35 and 17x9 +38 at Panda garage for 1300 bucks. As far as weight is concerned, I dont recall the exact weight but ballpark figure would be around 16 (perhaps slightly more) pounds. Thats light for a wider 17 inch wheel. Yeah the ford Motorsport wheels look pretty cool too, almost like a blend of torque thrusts and bbs meshies, but they are generally heavy.

Sil Beer S13
01-06-2006, 04:56 AM
Your door beams look really high.

S14DB
01-06-2006, 05:09 AM
Moved.

kognition
01-06-2006, 09:28 AM
No it is just the picture, they come up just to the top of the door edge. However, i decided to change them over to two parallel beams extending out into the door area. I am making honeycomb core replacement doors for this car. As long as there are two door beams there, i read in the rules that i can do this.
There is alot of uneeded weight there. I have not weighed the doors yet, but they feel around 100 to 130 lb's. I can shed 80% of that weight (whatever it turns out to be) with composite doors.

Your door beams look really high.

kognition
01-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks, i will check them out. I am just up the hill from P.G.
Allthough i am not too fond of the slipstreams look.

Regamasters are ridiculously expensive wheels (think forged rota slipstream)when bought new, but if one is patient a nice set does pop up on occasion, like a set of 17x8 +35 and 17x9 +38 at Panda garage for 1300 bucks. As far as weight is concerned, I dont recall the exact weight but ballpark figure would be around 16 (perhaps slightly more) pounds. Thats light for a wider 17 inch wheel. Yeah the ford Motorsport wheels look pretty cool too, almost like a blend of torque thrusts and bbs meshies, but they are generally heavy.