PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have a bad driveshaft bearing?

ESone3
12-17-2005, 06:12 PM
I'm getting alot of bad vibrations from the rear of the car. Here are some things I've ruled out

-bad tires (i've had them balanced)
-bad bearings (did the turn from right to left test)

thing's i think it maybe..
-driveshaft bearing
-subframe bushings
-something in the diff pumpkin

has anyone experianced that?

infinitexsound
12-17-2005, 06:30 PM
u joints in the drive shaft are not replaceable

check subframe bushings and wheel bearings..

skiboard06
12-17-2005, 09:31 PM
i would guess it is most def subframe bushings common with 240s. they are not too expensive to replace

RedSuns
12-18-2005, 07:47 AM
a common thing i see these days is the center carrier bearing failing..check that too

andrewmp6
12-18-2005, 10:03 AM
use it as a reason to buy a 1 piece driveshaft

RedSuns
12-18-2005, 11:57 AM
use it as a reason to buy a 1 piece driveshaft

i have a bunch for sale too :naughtyd:

ESone3
12-18-2005, 12:57 PM
i'm thinking of doing the driveshaft and subframe bushings.

can any tell me from experiance how the one piece driveshaft is? I've heard of some kind of harmonic balancing problems some have, any insite?

RedSuns
12-18-2005, 02:00 PM
i'm thinking of doing the driveshaft and subframe bushings.

can any tell me from experiance how the one piece driveshaft is? I've heard of some kind of harmonic balancing problems some have, any insite?

due to wide variety of differntial to chassis differences the shaft length is key.. the people that have the vibration issues either have too short of a length or did not have it balanced properly.

SRd240sx
12-18-2005, 02:25 PM
i've heard of unbalanced driveshafts also, so that could be it

ESone3
12-18-2005, 04:39 PM
I also forgot to mention that the vibrations only come from 30-40 mph range. They might actually be there after, but i can't feel them.

RedSuns
12-18-2005, 04:43 PM
I also forgot to mention that the vibrations only come from 30-40 mph range. They might actually be there after, but i can't feel them.

Any shaking when you try to get the car moving from a stop?

ESone3
12-18-2005, 05:18 PM
slight thumping, yes

RedSuns
12-18-2005, 07:49 PM
slight thumping, yes

have you recently tried to spin you tires?

if so did you get massive wheel hop or did not get the usual amount?

ESone3
12-19-2005, 10:04 AM
actually, i don't really get wheel hop. well just recently i did... a little, but have added weight in the back cause its snowing.

battery1882
12-23-2005, 10:20 PM
sounds like an unbalanced driveshaft.. if the car shakes at around 35mph, it's most likely driveshaft problem.

KingKong8247
12-24-2005, 06:37 PM
How would you balance a driveshaft? I sometimes have the shaking getting the car moving from a stop but it is fine after that

theicecreamdan
12-30-2005, 11:23 PM
only experience I have with unbalanced driveshaft was in my Camaro... and it only shook at 85mph. but it shook BAD, I thought the car was going to fall apart everytime it did it.
I really don't think you're driveshaft is out of balance, if you can't figure it out, I'm sure a good driveshaft shop will check yours out for cheap, if not free.

drift freaq
12-30-2005, 11:35 PM
How would you balance a driveshaft? I sometimes have the shaking getting the car moving from a stop but it is fine after that
if your center support bushing goes bad your driveshaft could rotate in a wider arc which could cause a clunk besides also destroying your u joints. I have seen chassis's were the center support bushing mounts were torn due to failure.
It would definitely be noticable. You could jack your car up and inspect your center support bushing to see. you could also put your car in neutral jack up the rear wheels and spin it by hand to see if its spinning in a wider arc.
I strongly recommend inspecting things.
As far as Esone goes. Driveshafts technically have u joints they are not called bearings.
On his vibrations at 30 or 40mph that does sound driveline related. Again, put the car in air or on jackstands and start inspecting stuff.
I addressed your balancing driveshaft question in your other thread king kong.

cmartin240
12-31-2005, 01:26 PM
This might be a related question. It seems that at low rpm, expecially in 5th gear, accelerating from anything below up to 2k, the car rumbles very badly. This happened with the my ka and sr. When not in gear, the engine revs fine with minimal vibrations. Any one else have a 240 that acts like this? Is that just the way the car was designed?

myleftlung
01-12-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm having a similiar issue; my driveshaft will vibrate pretty bad (my shiftknob does a crazy uppity uppity dance) around 2k/20mph. Under or above that it's fine. This started after going SR, so I'm wondering if we didn't bolt up the support bushing some how? Does the driveshaft have to be exactly centered in it? When I eye it it looks sliiiiiightly off. When I was KA I had no issues. :( Also, it'll do it in gear or not.