PDA

View Full Version : best and loudest BOV? for SR20

240sxballa
12-13-2005, 07:22 PM
so i was goin to put on a bov to my SR i was going to go with the blitz super sound BOV , but iv heard mixed things about taht BOV, some ppl say its loud and a good BOV ... others say its not that great and its not very loud? ... anybody know which BOV are loud and good for there buck i want a really loud one

Dutchmalmiss
12-13-2005, 07:28 PM
you're probably gonna get flamed for this thread. there are write ups and reviews on most, if not all, bov's for SR's. everyone has their own preference and their own definition on what loud is. i personally have a blitz ss bov, and i hate it. they have a knack for the piston spring going back during x amount of blow-offs. i'm prolly gonna get a sheepdog or greddy bov and recirculate it. loudness doesn't help with performance anyways.

Ghettokracker71
12-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Damn you beat me to the bandwagon flaming.

Loud BOVs are all cool and stuff until you sick of it,and wish you had invested your money more wisely,like wich BOV is best suited for your driving needs,boost,budget and etc.

I have two very,VERY loud cars. a KADE s13,and an Integra,as much as I love they way they sound,it does tend to wear on you a little bit

DJPimpFlex
12-13-2005, 07:35 PM
yea BOV's are whatever. I have a SSQV and its loud as hell. Not recirculated makes any BOV loud. I have a track only car so it doesnt bother me at all.

Nofatchicks
12-13-2005, 07:38 PM
I hope your joking. The loudest BOV?? You do know people like you get hardcore flamed on the streets AND forums for shit like that. I LOVE dogging on these kids in my area with stock SRT4's with RFL bov's. I think saying "i want a loud bov" is the ricest thing anyone can say besides "you like my neon lights?". Please dont be a fag and get the BOV based on function and looks... not on how loud it is. :axe: :rl: :ghey:

Red Square
12-13-2005, 07:43 PM
i hear the "duck calling" bov is the best

....quack, quack

FRpilot
12-13-2005, 07:48 PM
turbo xs rfl bov is probably one of the loudest out there. get a pull type bov so you dont have leaking issues. i think hks ssqv is best overall bov out there. its a pull type but kinda annoying loud too. other pull types to consider is sard. arc is good and doesnt leak but i think its a push type.

NemeGuero
12-13-2005, 07:55 PM
I got a turbo XS RFL.. LOUD!!!

95zilvia
12-13-2005, 08:04 PM
HKS SSQV
Loud with origional fin.
Quiet with other types of fin.

I've experienced with Blitz and HKS, Blitz leaks at idle so you can't blow off when you're not REALLY under boost.
The atmospheric BOVs make my idle stumble tho after lettin one out.

IAM_SO_sLOw
12-13-2005, 08:25 PM
hmm.... i think you should aim for a bov that uses a pull type rather than a push type... i heard that push type bovs tend to leak...umm....a loud bov depends on the person...

Silverbullet
12-13-2005, 08:27 PM
thats because all that air making that cool wooosh or chirp sound is supposed to be going into ur intake system.

if u want a loud BOV, get any BOV that chirps. GReddy Type S and HKS SSQV are prolly the most popular. However the GReddy Type S is probably one of the worst BOV designs from its low flow (causing the squeek) and being prone to leak above 14psi; while the SSQV is probably one of the best being a pull type lol.
If u want a loud woosh, anything else will suite really. SARD, Turbo XS, Turbosmart, Apex, Blitz: they all sound the same to me. I dont really notice different sound variation from most BOV to BOV. But ya, BOVs are indeed annoying if they easily vent and are loud after awhile.

Silverbullet
12-13-2005, 08:30 PM
turbo xs rfl bov is probably one of the loudest out there. get a pull type bov so you dont have leaking issues. i think hks ssqv is best overall bov out there. its a pull type but kinda annoying loud too. other pull types to consider is sard. arc is good and doesnt leak but i think its a push type.

which SARD is pull type? Do u mind listing all the pull types that you know of? Even tho most straight up piston type BOVs wont have problems, the design just seems sketch to me.

NemeGuero
12-13-2005, 08:45 PM
to prevent "easy" venting, cram some washers in there to put the spring under more compression

420sx
12-13-2005, 09:23 PM
i got apexi and at 10 psi its loud on the biggest setting, sounds like a buss or a whale.

nissantfsx
12-13-2005, 10:13 PM
my friends have HKS SSQV...it sounds pretty nice.
I prefer Greddy Type-RS...i think it sounds pretty nice.

I donno how loud u want ur BOV to be...but i think my type-RS is not bad...

Jonnie Fraz
12-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Call me crazy, but don't loud BOV's just announce that you have a turbo to the police. I think I will stick with the stealth approach. Being in California it just gives the police a reason to pull you over, and check your car out.

NemeGuero
12-13-2005, 10:19 PM
thats why you pack 'em with washers.. they only make noise if you rev really hard and really high. (over 4k rpm)

Under conservative driving conditions you can get away without being noticed with your BOV... just takes restraint.

Silverbullet
12-14-2005, 08:39 AM
and compressor surge hehe

!Zar!
12-14-2005, 08:49 AM
This thread reminds me of someone I know. He purchaced a BOV and kept revving it just to hear the, "whoosh" then three weeks later he blew his engine.

Dayne
12-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Get the Turbosmart Megasonic....That should give you what you're looking for. It'll get you pulled over every mile and a half. Since you're in California your car will probably get you in trouble too on one of those pull overs since you're SR equipped.... But those a trivial risks that are worth the point A to point B attention whoring.

NemeGuero
12-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Not if you shift before boost begins..

TKOs14
12-14-2005, 02:26 PM
i love my greddy type s because it works not because its loud but it can get loud if your trying to show off .... if your just cruising shes not crazy loud so it does not get sickning... whats with california and turbo cars? why would they pull you over if you have a BOV?

NemeGuero
12-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Venting to atmosphere is illegal.. even though its just AIR!!

Plus.. no 240sx in the US comes stock with turbo.. so its kind of a tell-tale sign.

Ghettokracker71
12-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Get the Turbosmart Megasonic....That should give you what you're looking for. It'll get you pulled over every mile and a half. Since you're in California your car will probably get you in trouble too on one of those pull overs since you're SR equipped.... But those a trivial risks that are worth the point A to point B attention whoring.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! :Owned: I was driving around chistmas shopping and I heard the worst BOV ever. Terrible ,just bad. Everytime the dude shifted,no shit it sounded like a goddamn sneeze,it was odd? Anybody know about ones that sound like that? vrooom achoo vroom haha I had to keep laughing at him

neilsan
12-14-2005, 05:54 PM
I bought a GReddy RS, it's got a nice smooth exhale sound. No chirps or whistles or anything that belongs in FNF. As a matter of fact It's only a little louder than the sound of the turbo spooling up. which i like.

Jonnie Fraz
12-14-2005, 07:54 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! :Owned: I was driving around chistmas shopping and I heard the worst BOV ever. Terrible ,just bad. Everytime the dude shifted,no shit it sounded like a goddamn sneeze,it was odd? Anybody know about ones that sound like that? vrooom achoo vroom haha I had to keep laughing at him
Was it a black Supra at the Roseville Galleria, my bro was telling me about this "whiney wheeze" coming from this Supera....lol

unwed_transient
12-14-2005, 08:14 PM
stick to a wastegate. "If it didn't come stock, you don't need it."

I've heard this here iirc, it's true for most things.

NemeGuero
12-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Wastegate is NOT the same thing as a Blow off Valve. One is for intake purposese (BOV), the other for exhaust gasses (wastegate).

BOVs are stock on turbo cars, but most are recirculated stock.

The blow-off valve should not be confused with a waste-gate. The waste-gate is a
device that by-passes the turbine wheel of the turbocharger, limiting the
shaft-speed of the turbocharger. Therefore, limiting the boost
(pressure) that the compressor generates and keeping the turbocharger
from over-speeding.

A blow-off valve is mounted in the intake plumbing between the
turbocharger compressor and the throttle plate. The blow-off valve is a
second safety measure against the turbocharger over-boosting and damaging
the engine.

bdeisle
12-14-2005, 08:34 PM
If you want a cool sound... dont use a blow off valve.. you will def. be the coolest guy in the neighboorhood

NemeGuero
12-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Hahaha! That'll definitely make a cool sound...

Ghettokracker71
12-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Hell yeah,keep boost in between gears. The only guys to have the balls to pull that off are in japan

cheez80
12-14-2005, 10:05 PM
The only guys to have the balls to pull that off are in japan

last i checked, i rock no bov and i live in the USA

Dousan_PG
12-14-2005, 10:06 PM
i dont run a bov
its not something crazy or bad as people make it
daily driven w/ 1 bar on t28
everything is tip top

loudest bov? that turbo XS is the loudest i can think of.
i had a GREDDY RS For a while
nice bov

SoSideways
12-14-2005, 10:22 PM
I have Greddy Type R and that thing can be very very loud.

It kinda makes a "kaa-chiiiiiiiiiiiinnnggg" noise at around 10 psi or so on a relatively stock blacktop motor. Just intake, downpipe, catback, FMIC kit.

Nofatchicks
12-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Havent heard it yet but my buddy has a Turbonetics GODZILLA BOV. Its the size of my leg and looks like a train horn. FuKIN RETARDEDLY HUGE

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Turbonetics-GODZILLA-BOV-Blow-off-valve-Turbo_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ80226 90264QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW :rl: :rl:

Gnnr
12-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Turbo XS RFL (really fcking loud). If you want sound clips of diffrent BOVs go here: http://www.935motorsports.com/bovmediaX.htm . Being loud with a blow off is just as gay as being loud with an exhaust. Everyone I know that gets a Neon srt4, thats the first thing they upgrade. :rolleyes:

Dutchmalmiss
12-15-2005, 12:50 PM
since we're talking bovs, whats a recommendation for the recirc. route?

NemeGuero
12-15-2005, 01:04 PM
How do you mean? You put the BOV on the charged pipe and run a hose from the BOV outlet back into the intake after the MAF...

DONE!

Tenchuu
12-15-2005, 07:50 PM
i have a Greddy type R. ting is damn huge. i can fit 3 fingers in the output hole. 3 side by side. but it does me no good till i get the motor to go with it.

point of story whatever parts you get make sure you get your engine IN HAND before buying all of them.

NemeGuero
12-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Whats an enging?

SoSideways
12-15-2005, 08:47 PM
i have a Greddy type R. ting is damn huge. i can fit 3 fingers in the output hole. 3 side by side. but it does me no good till i get the motor to go with it.

point of story whatever parts you get make sure you get your enging IN HAND before buying all of them.

I dunno what an enging is, but man, good choice on the BOV.

It works awesome and you'll love the different sounds it'll make, depending on load on the motor and boost :D

neilsan
12-15-2005, 08:51 PM
an enging is a typographical error u nitpick.

SoSideways
12-15-2005, 08:58 PM
an enging is a typographical error YOU nitpick.

There, fixed it for ya http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbup.gif

NemeGuero
12-15-2005, 09:00 PM
Haha, Yah I know.. but a typo for what? Engine in hand? That doesn't make sense since he already has his SR... Hence the reason for my question.

Tenchuu
12-15-2005, 10:13 PM
changed my sig now it makes sense. and edited the thread. engine, enging same thing. and just giving my 2 cense. every time i see that BOV it reminds me about how i got raped out of my engine. and hopefully on the 20th how i will get my money or my vengence on the individual who stole it from me. but i don't want to hijack this thread, just added a comment about the size of the Greddy type R BOV and a reason why i commented on the size and not the sound of said BOV. it really looks alot smaller when you buy it. you really don't expect a 6-8 inch high BOV with a outlet tube big enuff to take off a child's hand in one bite.

NemeGuero
12-15-2005, 10:25 PM
You're silly Tenchuu..

Tenchuu
12-15-2005, 10:45 PM
well now that makoto is gone zilvia needs more people to add random and slightly humours comments to zilvia. i don't inted to take his place, but once he was out i quit laughting out loud for a bit, then decided that a WTF chuckle was better than nothing...... and my insomnia and drinking kicked in so i got alot more time to post also. probibly has more to do with the last set of circumstances, but i do hope makot comes back to give his jaded view on things.

SoSideways
12-15-2005, 10:57 PM
changed my sig now it makes sense. and edited the thread. engine, enging same thing. and just giving my 2 cense. every time i see that BOV it reminds me about how i got raped out of my engine. and hopefully on the 20th how i will get my money or my vengence on the individual who stole it from me. but i don't want to hijack this thread, just added a comment about the size of the Greddy type R BOV and a reason why i commented on the size and not the sound of said BOV. it really looks alot smaller when you buy it. you really don't expect a 6-8 inch high BOV with a outlet tube big enuff to take off a child's hand in one bite.

Yeah man, that thing is huge indeed.

You can almost fit the Greddy Type S into the discharge port on the Type R :boink:

Pank
12-16-2005, 06:10 AM
well now that makoto is gone zilvia needs more people to add random and slightly humours comments to zilvia. i don't inted to take his place, but once he was out i quit laughting out loud for a bit, then decided that a WTF chuckle was better than nothing...... and my insomnia and drinking kicked in so i got alot more time to post also. probibly has more to do with the last set of circumstances, but i do hope makot comes back to give his jaded view on things.

haha, what? where did Makoto go?
damnit, you lose your internet connection at home for ONE week :(

cheap_sticker05
12-16-2005, 07:14 AM
HKS SSQV hands down is my favorite. I have had it for about a year and love it. No leaks and it sounds awesome. Plus if you want a loud one this is it.

S14DB
12-16-2005, 07:27 AM
I like the Egg:
http://www.gamecalls.net/huntingproducts/md-340.jpg

NemeGuero
12-16-2005, 11:21 AM
No way is that an actual BOV.. hahaha

That has to be a strange looking flange.

importsolutions.net
12-16-2005, 02:15 PM
i have a blitz but i think i might have a little leak...but besides that leak, i love the sound, i can make it loud if i want, or keep it quiet if i want..as long as i dont f*ck my turbo up, it dont matter to me.

oO0OthinkO0Oo
02-01-2006, 11:44 AM
nothing beats the turkey bov

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=F7CC1451-A1E1-4A4E-A850-8D62DAE06131&t=

NemeGuero
02-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Nothing beats bumping a 1.5 month old thread...

sr20newb
02-01-2006, 08:24 PM
i dont know what it is about this rediculous post but it makes me kind of constapated.... >_<

S14DB
02-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Nothing beats bumping a 1.5 month old thread...
Nah, the worthless post after yours takes it. He can even spell ridiculous and constipated.
i dont know what it is about this rediculous post but it makes me kind of constapated.... >_<