PDA

View Full Version : MPG question - search attempted

AutoKA24DE
12-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Ever since I acquired my 95 SE, i've never bought a full tank of gas, its been mainly 10 or 20 dollar fillups of 91 octane. I've only put on something like 1000-1500 miles since owning it, and concluded that the mileage was somewhere in between 20-24 miles to the gallon based off my previous gas purchases.

so recently i bought a full tank, exactly 15 gallons just after the gas light turned on, and after 3 or 4, 5-mile drives, the gas needle doesnt even go to the top, just wandering up and down around the 3/4 mark. i drive to school and back and then some, the trip meter is reading 130 miles and the the gas needle is wandering at the halfway point. :wtf:

is there any common problems that are gas needle, fuel pump float, etc related, or is my mileage just terrible? i'll drive it some more and see how far i can get until the light turns on.

oh yeah, i never take it to redline, and drive real mild in this car. it is combined city and freeway driven too.

whats the average mileage for a 95 se anyway? i'm sure being an automatic diminishes mileage, but from the looks of it i'm barely getting something in the mid teens. :wtf: again.

i know its common covered topic, but none of the searches resulted in solutions to my specific problems. please help! :tweak:

aznpoopy
12-13-2005, 11:16 AM
mileage wise; i can get 30mpg if i'm really trying to. if you take a long cruise and do nothing but 70mph constant you can hit higher. average is roughly 27mpg. its a 5spd though.

as for the gas needle, just about every car has its quirks. my civic stays at full until 100 miles. then it drops to the 2/3 way point. after another 100 miles it looks half full. but after maybe 50 miles after that it'll start looking real close to empty.

90-240sx
12-13-2005, 11:30 AM
when i first got my 95 240 I filled the tank and drove 200 miles b4 the needle moved off of the full line then it bounces up and down from there I basically dont worry untill my gas light turns on.

trsilvias13
12-13-2005, 11:46 AM
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=88095&highlight=mpg

you sure u search? just type in mpg in the search and there like 7+ pages

Nan Desu Ka?!
12-13-2005, 11:56 AM
I belive that was only part of his question. He was more focused on answering a specific question reguarding his wierd gas needle.

my need is a bit odd on my s13 as well. when i fill up, it goes over full and will sit there for the first 50-60 miles, then all of the sudden it will drop dramatically over the next 10 or so miles.... i guess ever car has its quirks.

sw20>>s14
12-13-2005, 02:42 PM
240s are known to have thier share of problems when it comes to gas needles...just for reference, i get around 23-24 mpg with an O2 sensor that doesnt even give off a signal...i get around 375-400 per tank...

besides the inconsistancies with the needle, do you think your car is running as efficiently as it should? just a thought...maintainence can do wonders to gas mileage...autozone aint lyin'...

trsilvias13
12-13-2005, 05:29 PM
I belive that was only part of his question. He was more focused on answering a specific question reguarding his wierd gas needle.

my need is a bit odd on my s13 as well. when i fill up, it goes over full and will sit there for the first 50-60 miles, then all of the sudden it will drop dramatically over the next 10 or so miles.... i guess ever car has its quirks.

that is why i piosted it.. it help out for part of his question.

about the needle. take out the cluster and examine it. I check out my friends car and his stuck becuase there use to be indiglo gauge stuff and what not and with that overlay, it cause the need to be rough.

trsilvias13
12-13-2005, 05:29 PM
deleted

trsilvias13
12-13-2005, 05:30 PM
opps

AutoKA24DE
12-13-2005, 08:34 PM
240s are known to have thier share of problems when it comes to gas needles...just for reference, i get around 23-24 mpg with an O2 sensor that doesnt even give off a signal...i get around 375-400 per tank...

besides the inconsistancies with the needle, do you think your car is running as efficiently as it should? just a thought...maintainence can do wonders to gas mileage...autozone aint lyin'...

as far as maintenance goes, i really dont know how much the car was ignored before i got it. since getting it i've replaced the cap, rotor, and spark plugs, got an exhaust leak fixed, flushed the transmission, changed the diff fluid, new tires, bled/flushed the master cylinder/brake lines, new pads, new rotors, and got an oil change.

damn i'm kind of bummed that the mileage sucks compared to what the rest of you have. the next big thing i have to handle on this car is the timing chain flopping around.

AutoKA24DE
12-13-2005, 08:44 PM
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=88095&highlight=mpg

you sure u search? just type in mpg in the search and there like 7+ pages

i did do that search, and i got some answers, but no one really mentioned the wandering needle.

if i picked up an injen or aem short ram intake, would that help the mileage if the stock air filter was really dirty? i havent looked at it come to think of it.

aznpoopy
12-13-2005, 10:46 PM
dont pick up a premade intake.

buy some parts from home depot and make it yourself.

or just clean or replace your filter.

AutoKA24DE
12-15-2005, 11:10 AM
so heres an update.

i filled up the tank just after the needle read past the halfway point. i filled up with 6.75 gallons after 135 miles, which is exactly 20 miles to the gallon. it still sucks, but at least it isnt in the teens and i have to remember that its an automatic. even though i filled it up to the top, the needle still only reads at 3/4. oh well.

i also checked the air filter, and it was clean, although it was a FRAM paper filter.