PDA

View Full Version : Probably been discussed . . .

DJPimpFlex
12-13-2005, 06:27 AM
Sorry if this is a repost and I've searched, but I had a question. In california I know skylines and RB motors can be legal, which leads me to believe that possibly RB swaps into S chassis cars may be legal. I'm no expert on Cali smog regualtions, but I know that the motor has to be as old or newer than the chassis, and it must retain all smog equiptment designed for the motor and the chassis cat possition, but what else? I dunno, I suspose that if it could be done it would already have been, but I havent sceen it. Just interested.

andrewmp6
12-13-2005, 06:55 AM
i dont know if it will pass or not cali smog test are tough good luck

luckyrb13
12-13-2005, 07:36 AM
I have a friend who is in the proccess of making his rb26 legal in the s chassis. Hopefully it it can be done. id love to do the same thing for my car.:x:

Jonnie Fraz
12-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Ok you might not get alot of responce, because yes it has been discussed. I will tell you what the Federal EPA law states. " Another situation recently brought to the EPA's attention offering for sale of used foregn built motors These engines are not covered by certified configuration for any vehicle sold in the country. In such case, there is no way to install such an engine legally." Now this is a Federal law not California law, wich means this goes for the whole country not just California.

kazuo
12-14-2005, 12:27 AM
Matty Matt,

Cannot be done, since MotoRex's RB's are [supposed to be] modified from their original state, including but not limited to, EGR Valve, remapped ECUs, etc.

Assuming you were able to obtain all of the parts needed to replicate their modifications, including the ECU tune, you would only be able to use a R33 Skyline GT-R engine, as that was only one federalized by the EPA for street use.

That will be hard to do, unless you
a) find a federalized R33 GT-R where the owner is selling the motor for some bizarre reason with the smog parts & ECU
and
b) MotoRex actually bothered to add said parts.

No, 32's and 34's were not federalized for street use. MotoRex just registered them as 33's... 34's cant be legal cause they would need ODB2, and 32's cannot be legal due to various reasons (motorized seat belts & airbags, et al).

You can brush up on this kinda junk by paying a visit to FA's Skyline forum.

pwhitersxs
12-14-2005, 12:35 AM
There is no law that makes an RB engine legal in a 240sx. Although if you had tons of money you can get your car dot tested and help out the rest of the community! The reason is like jonnie fraz said, the engine was not tested to be legal in the US and never passed any sort of smog or crash testing in the 240sx chassis.

Armysweitzer
12-14-2005, 08:01 AM
mine did, 3 inch + test pipe :) 200 dollars later...

projectRDM
12-14-2005, 08:39 AM
mine did, 3 inch + test pipe :) 200 dollars later...

Not legally though. Paying a guy off or to look the other way is still illegal.

DJPimpFlex
12-14-2005, 06:33 PM
so the car to be "street legal" has to have a crash test with said engine in the car? How do these honda guys get away with there JDM swaps. I know that the motors are copys of USDM shit, but a B18 in a CRX can be street legal and hasnt been crash tested as far as I know. Also Why couldnt i source a RB25 from motorex and have them install all the smog equiptment on it. I'm not saying it would be cheep, but I think it could be done that way maybe. I'm not doing it I was just thinking about it. I <3 my SR right now! You guys know I'm all about the balence and not the straight line bS. . . .mostly.....

DJPimpFlex
12-14-2005, 06:35 PM
wait, I suck at reading. Disregard previous post.

Jonnie Fraz
12-14-2005, 07:39 PM
I <3 my SR right now! You guys know I'm all about the balence and not the straight line bS. . . .mostly.....
So am I getting that you have an SR now? This presents the same problem:JDM engine USDM car= No No. I think the way some people get away with swapping motors is that they do not bling it out, and they take there cars to "Dummass Smog" and the tech does not know any better.
Yes I know there is a "b" in Dumbass...lol

kazuo
12-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Honda guys get away with JDM motorswaps cause they're (mostly) available in the USA, and as long as they use the manifolds, sensors, egr/ecu/harness etc from the USDM car, its legal.

Yep.