PDA

View Full Version : rpm gauge wont go over 4k

blu2fourty
12-11-2005, 12:29 PM
when i rev my car on neutral above 4k the rpm gauge will stay at 4k and the needle will act like 4k was redline. on every gear also. never happen before. if i'm flooring and i hit over 4k the car doesnt run smooth like its struggling. if i'm not flooring it hard over 4k the car runs pretty good.

the car is a s14 with a redtop sr. i think a part of the problem could be i'm still on a stock fuel pump(got to double check if its stock) but i don't see how that would effect the rpm gauge.

any help would be nice.

thanks,
jon

S14-vietusmc
12-31-2005, 05:40 PM
yeah, i got the same problem with the ka motor. never happened til now. i can hear the engine revving about 4k, but the gauge doesnt read about 4k. any help or suggestions? thanks. happy new years too

smithers584
12-31-2005, 10:57 PM
you are ridiculous to run a sr20det with a stock ka fuel pump. just asking for problems. upgrade to the walbaro, its only a 100 bucks and easy to do yourself, even if it doesnt fix your problem. could be a boost leak for the sr guy. dont look at the gauge as the problem, its reading what your ENGINE is doing.

smithers584
12-31-2005, 11:01 PM
does your engine rev over 4? from your post it sounds like it doesnt, in which case you are either losing spark or fuel or a boost leak, probably fuel since you have the stock pump but it could also be electrical. i had a similar problem with my audi a4, i replaced the alternator and everything was fine, i also swapped in a optima battery before i changed my alternator and that helped. run a multi meter across your battery terminals w/o the car running. should read around 12vdc. then stay on it and have someone start the car and watch the voltage, make sure it doesnt drop to low, if so, your battery will be bad, but that has nothing to do with your prob. after you start the car check the same thing and you should read 14.4 or so, that will tell you if your alternator is good. if it only reads 12 then your alternator is bad and you cant provide enough spark because the voltage will change under different loads.

andrewmp6
12-31-2005, 11:24 PM
smither with a higher flow pump upi wanna run a fuel pressure regilator if it wont rev over 4k sound like the maf is bad or not wired right sure the tach isnt fucked up

smithers584
12-31-2005, 11:40 PM
i dont really understand your post andrew (about the pump and regulator) cuz i ran the stock regulator for a long time. since he isnt sure about the pump that probably means that he bought the car with the sr, so it probably is wired right or else the car would have acted up the when he bought and he probably would never have bought it. its hard to say without knowing more, it could be fuel pump, alternator, ecu, ignitor chip, coil packs, a bad ground on the coil pack harness, a boost leak, etc......... but your right the tach isnt messed up.

projectRDM
01-01-2006, 01:33 AM
MAF.

The search function does work if you actually bother using it.

S14-vietusmc
01-01-2006, 02:58 PM
i did search, thats how i found this thread. see how i posted 20 days later?

i can hear my engine rev about 4k but the gauge isnt registering over 4k. ill will check all things listed on here. thanks for the help.

krazyskata13
01-02-2006, 01:10 AM
i did search, thats how i found this thread. see how i posted 20 days later?

owned

BoNyG515
01-02-2006, 01:20 AM
ive had the same problem and I found out my MAF connector was half way on haha...only cuz dat little clip came off