PDA

View Full Version : Power steering question..

AutoKA24DE
12-10-2005, 07:26 AM
Hey guys, just wondering, after a certain amount of driving, in the power steering fluid reservoir, i can see a whole lot of bubbling, almost as if the fluid is boiling. i was told this was normal when i got the free inspection at a local dealership when i got an oil change (i usually do these myself, dont flame me, i wanted the inspection and a verification of the clacking sound that is my flopping timing chain) and some climate control bulbs.

there is fluid leakage from the power steering hoses, so my assumption is that its just air seeping in. can anyone provide info on any common problems with this?

thanks in advance.

aznpoopy
12-10-2005, 01:42 PM
im curious as well.

i bent my hardlines slightly during a swap, and i noticed that while the car is running the fluid in the tank looks like its churning. i suppose thats normal if the pump is moving fluid through the system, but it bothers me since i never noticed it preswap.

projectRDM
12-11-2005, 09:34 AM
The PS system is not airtight, so air can be sucked in at anytime. Check and make sure you're using ATF and not power steering fluid, PS fluid has a much lower thermal threshold and will breakdown quicker, causing bearing failure in the pump and damage to the gears within the rack.

wootwoot
12-11-2005, 10:20 AM
ATF as in automatic transmission fluid?....Havent heard that before

NismoSilvia270R
12-11-2005, 10:26 AM
my computer tells me to use atf on just about every car i looked up today. im at work, national auto.

honda and the few german 'bass-aackwards' engineered pieces use their own special stuff

aznpoopy
12-11-2005, 11:05 AM
it sounds weird but its true. the FSM says to use ATF as well, so that's what i use.