PDA

View Full Version : Redtop Down for the count. symptoms of a warn oil pump?

Chrischeezer
12-08-2005, 02:37 PM
hello, before anything.. its an s13 red top. I did an oil change with Lucas a long time ago.. when the car started up there was VERY low oil pressure and a loud head noise.. so I drained the Lucas out and switched to a thinner oil...
since that day,. I have been having low oil pressure problems on a cold start up I would let the car warm up a bit then it would be fine, never herd noise,but the light would come on for 10sec.. and shut off..
... today I started, and the oil light when off.. with-in a few sec. (7 or 8 sec.) I let the car warm up. then when I revved to go.. ding.. light came back on and got a head noise. this type of noise I have herd before... after oil changes.. for a sec. so I shut the car off..and checked the oil level and started again, light on, noise in the head.. nooooooooooooooooooooo

right now since its super cold out I'm using 10w30 syn.

im convinced its a warn oil pump. any suggestions? or thoughts?
can someone plz explain to me how the oil pump works on this motor, its built into the front cover right?

thanks in advance for the help

Al_S14
12-08-2005, 03:44 PM
without looking at the oil pressure readigns i'd say there are several possibilities
dented oil pan...i dont have an SR but it seems to be very common issue that obstructs oil flow

you are right it could very well be the oil pump but they never go out that eary unless car is starved of oil . its possible that you have a problem with oil pressure regulator valve from gunk preventing its movement

It coudl also be worn main bearings.

Tappin noise is somewhat normal on HLA engines on cold start but should never happen intermitently like when you rev it.

Start with checking your oil pan. And get actual pressure readings.

96240sxSE
12-08-2005, 06:32 PM
How cold is super cold? Like below zero? From everything i've read and experienced, 10w30 is too heavy for below about freezing. It gets too thick and doesn't flow. I had problems running 10w30 in colder temps(went to school in Wyoming, -10 for about a week straight). Had the same type of symptoms, although with a stock KA. Switched to 5w30 and didn't have near the amount of problems when it was cold out.

drifter808
12-08-2005, 11:06 PM
When i first got my SR it did the same thing. On my Oil Pressure gauge it read about 20 psi through out the rpms. Changed oil and did the Lucas stuff to and no difference. Also when i'd start it there would be no oil pressure until i revved the engine then i would hear whining, kind of like when your low on PS fluid but it was coming from the crank. I put in a new pump and it is all good now. It is a little bit of a challenge to do it with the engine in the car but it can be done. If you want some tips let me know. Do you have an oil pressure gauge? it is a really good thing to have on an SR.

Chrischeezer
12-09-2005, 01:19 AM
good input,
-Its about 20-35 degrees out
-i just got my greddy eletronic oil pressure gauge yesterday.. wierd it up but couldnt get under the car for the sensor ... its really cold outside and i know how much of a bitch it is to get at the sending unit.
-im going to pull the pan off and see what it looks like asap a friend of mine replaced 4 sr oil pumps and he was tellin me how get the front cover off *sneeky pete* style.

smithers584
12-09-2005, 04:05 PM
if you are not building oil pressure, it might be your main bearings. thats what happened with my first sr20 when i went to pick it up, pull the oil pan apart and look up in the feeder tubes to see if there are any little pieces of metal or anything. good luck with that, also, oil pressure gauge is a must have for a sr, make sure you get electrical though, my dumbass got a mechanical and my mechanic was a little aggrivated. haha

fliprayzin240sx
12-10-2005, 03:28 AM
I went tru a couple of blocks due to oil starvation. First SR i had, the oil pump was doo-doo. I knew the pump was goin bad, i would barely make 1 bar on idle when its cold, worst when its warm. Finally went out and there were 3 new oil drain on my block where my rods went tru. But anways, like they said, get a oil pressure sensor cuz its a life saver. Then drop your oil pan and tap it out to make sure its not dented into the oil sump. Take the oil sump off and clean out the strainer. Opening up the sump opening helps too. Just make sure that when you put the oil sump back on, put back the O-ring too.

harlockssx
12-11-2005, 04:29 AM
SR's do go through oil pumps, especially when you consider many of the previous owners (in Japan) didn't do proper maintenace & frequent changes. I see that a LOT here in Okinawa. 100,000KM (62,000) miles may not seem to be a lot of miles in the US, but when it's almost completely done in stop & go traffic, at speeds under 80 Km/h with people who sometime NEVER change their oil (I'm not making this up-I know several people who don't-idiots!) it all takes its toll on these little engines. Especially if you beat the hell out of them on occaison. Main bearings are often overlooked, but I'd swap in a new oil pump from Nissan & see what it does afterwards, with a real oil pressure gauge, not the factory idiot light. I had a buddy go through 2 SR's from oil pump failure, and I also had my first one go out that way the first day I had my car...luckily, mine was still under warranty from the dealer here in Japan I purchased from.

fliprayzin240sx
12-11-2005, 05:18 AM
^ I guess I got 2 of those idiot's engines cuz i blew 1 already with bad pump and another with nice and pretty rod knock due to low oil pressure.