PDA

View Full Version : Real Car Security

causeForAlarm
12-06-2005, 09:14 PM
You can make your car virtually impossible to steal. I started doing this on Hondas/Acuras, then I decided to expand out. So I did a 240SX specific stealth car alarm install walkthrough. Check it out: http://www.vsracing.net/~suspended/

Don't worry, even if all the car thieves memorized this walkthrough, it wouldn't make it any easier for them to steal your car. Also there is nothing on the site that teaches people to become car thieves.

theicecreamdan
12-06-2005, 10:36 PM
good stuff.

projekt_s13
12-06-2005, 11:37 PM
nice thanks

420sx
12-07-2005, 12:17 PM
very informative.

luv2spedup
12-07-2005, 12:29 PM
You can make your car virtually impossible to steal. I started doing this on Hondas/Acuras, then I decided to expand out. So I did a 240SX specific stealth car alarm install walkthrough. Check it out: http://www.vsracing.net/~suspended/

Don't worry, even if all the car thieves memorized this walkthrough, it wouldn't make it any easier for them to steal your car. Also there is nothing on the site that teaches people to become car thieves.

man ur good i wish u were in ny so i could have gotten my car done

Gnnr
12-07-2005, 12:42 PM
You should add having a false brain under the dash, the theives think its real and mess with it only to find out its not the real brain. More time wasted.

ranisron
12-07-2005, 12:58 PM
good read - though wiring is tough for me... :(

causeForAlarm
12-07-2005, 03:56 PM
I do stealth installs in San Diego. You bring the alarm or I can get Viper alarms very cheap. Get battery backup modules, extra sensors, a piezo siren etc off ebay. I can do a group buy type setup where as long as you bring me at least one car a week, you get a deep discount on the labor.

[email protected]
AIM drake shaun

Jonnie Fraz
12-08-2005, 01:04 AM
Nice job on the writeup. I like to hide two piezo sirens in the air vents. Nice and loud. I set it off for a buddy of mine and he said it made his vision go blurry.

CHARLIE2020
12-08-2005, 01:18 AM
Thats good but theres alot easier ways to make a car steal proof for under $5.00. Alarms systems are wack to.

ALTRNTV
12-08-2005, 03:37 AM
^

Like what?

DJPimpFlex
12-08-2005, 03:38 AM
yea your forgeting the simple and cheep shit. Hidden kill switches, removing the ignition fuse, steering wheel quick realease ect. Fuck alarms. To much damn money. If you want my car you have to tow it, and have a steering wheel for it cause your never going to get it running.

l33tmonkeyman
12-08-2005, 09:10 PM
but they could still steal things from your vehicle without driving it away

aznpoopy
12-08-2005, 09:16 PM
if a thief really wants to steal your car, nothing is going to stop them.

modded cars that are in demand for parts more often then not simply get towed away, not driven.

SoSideways
12-08-2005, 11:30 PM
I can attest to that.

The one night I come home late with my girlfriend at 2am and had to park kinda far from my apartment, is when the thieves struck.

Next morning I go to get my car, and find my door partially latched, with a broken door handle piece (they jammed a screw driver underneath the door handle piece underneath the door lock cylinder). I also noticed that my steering wheel was gone through my tinted window.

So I put the key in, opened the door, and found that my HKB hub was BROKEN, like chiseled or something. Steering wheel is gone, all of my tools that are out of sight is gone, my Razo shift knob that was in the center console is gone, and so was my Defi D-gauge water temp gauge. The thieves actually de-pinned the water temp sensor wires that goes into that connector on the back of the Defi gauge. They had also turned my dome light off, der.

Thing is, there were more things in my car that were worth money, but they took specific parts, so I know they were either stealing from a main shopping list, or they were only after a certain parts in my car.

So yeah, if I would have had an alarm, I wouldn't be $400 or so out of parts.

CHARLIE2020
12-08-2005, 11:50 PM
^

Like what?

1) You can re-wire your ignitor into your car and take it with you.
2) You can wire in a kill switch inline to your fuel pump that takes a key instead of switch.
3) You can wire in a kill switch inline to your starter solenoid.

etc etc anyone of these things will work and cost very cheap to do, ofcourse put these in as discrete a place as possible.

My car came with a cheap alarm that makes noise which is always good and it opens my doors thats the main feature I liked that came with my alarm...lol

CHARLIE2020
12-08-2005, 11:51 PM
but they could still steal things from your vehicle without driving it away

Thats life sometimes but if I had to choose I'd be much happier with stolen stuff from my car than a stolen car.

SoSideways
12-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Thats life sometimes but if I had to choose I'd be much happier with stolen stuff from my car than a stolen car.

Amen to that!

causeForAlarm
12-10-2005, 12:07 PM
I cover cheap stuff all over the site. Especially kill switches. The two kill switches you mentioned are specifically diagramed on my site, so take a closer look. Using a key switch, magnetic switch, chip switch etc is not a bad idea, however it doesn't matter how technically advanced the actual switch is because once it's found, its a simple matter of ripping it out and bypassing it.

Removing the ignition fuse does nothing. It's very quick to diagnose and you can stick whatever you want in the fuse holder as long as it's metallic, including one of your spare fuses.

Over at Honda Tech there are posts every day from people with quick release steering wheels who have got their car stolen. Same thing with the people that remove their ECU. That is why those methods are not covered on my site. They can't hurt, but they're not as effective as they should be for the effort/money.

If you get keyless entry, you can slim jim/lock pick proof your doors. I haven't done it on a Nissan yet but I'm sure it's probably the same as a Civic.

If you're worried about towing, get a tilt sensor and a two way paging alarm. At least you'll be immediately notified when your car is being towed, which can greatly increase your chances of recovering the car.

If you don't want stuff stolen out of your car, keep it out of plain sight. Take your stereo face, camera, digital satellite reciever with you. Secondly, get a motion sensor and/or a glass breakage sensor. The motion sensor chirps while they're scoping out your car, acting as a deterrent and you get advanced notice. The glass breakage sensor will trip when they try to silently smash the window.

Why do you say fuck alarms? An alarm is your best/only defense. The most important part is the installation. The second part is the sensors. Sure, a high end two way paging alarm with code hopping is ideal, but you can get a $30 alarm and install it yourself and it will be just as effective. On your next paycheck, splice in two additional sensors. Shit, I can make a basic alarm out of a keyless entry module and some relays. A decent alarm is not that expensive, and I provided all the information you need to install it yourself. Nothing is 100%. But doing nothing at all is the same as just giving your shit away. At least put as much effort into security as you put into suspension or engine tuning.

I'm very accustomed to naysayers and fatalists. I don't know why they don't go into the tech section and post "why do you even bother building your motor, someone else will always be faster". Don't listen to them. They're probably theives themselves. I can think of no other motivation.

CHARLIE2020
12-10-2005, 12:36 PM
I cover cheap stuff all over the site. Especially kill switches. The two kill switches you mentioned are specifically diagramed on my site, so take a closer look. Using a key switch, magnetic switch, chip switch etc is not a bad idea, however it doesn't matter how technically advanced the actual switch is because once it's found, its a simple matter of ripping it out and bypassing it.

Removing the ignition fuse does nothing. It's very quick to diagnose and you can stick whatever you want in the fuse holder as long as it's metallic, including one of your spare fuses.

Over at Honda Tech there are posts every day from people with quick release steering wheels who have got their car stolen. Same thing with the people that remove their ECU. That is why those methods are not covered on my site. They can't hurt, but they're not as effective as they should be for the effort/money.

If you get keyless entry, you can slim jim/lock pick proof your doors. I haven't done it on a Nissan yet but I'm sure it's probably the same as a Civic.

If you're worried about towing, get a tilt sensor and a two way paging alarm. At least you'll be immediately notified when your car is being towed, which can greatly increase your chances of recovering the car.

If you don't want stuff stolen out of your car, keep it out of plain sight. Take your stereo face, camera, digital satellite reciever with you. Secondly, get a motion sensor and/or a glass breakage sensor. The motion sensor chirps while they're scoping out your car, acting as a deterrent and you get advanced notice. The glass breakage sensor will trip when they try to silently smash the window.

Why do you say fuck alarms? An alarm is your best/only defense. The most important part is the installation. The second part is the sensors. Sure, a high end two way paging alarm with code hopping is ideal, but you can get a $30 alarm and install it yourself and it will be just as effective. On your next paycheck, splice in two additional sensors. Shit, I can make a basic alarm out of a keyless entry module and some relays. A decent alarm is not that expensive, and I provided all the information you need to install it yourself. Nothing is 100%. But doing nothing at all is the same as just giving your shit away. At least put as much effort into security as you put into suspension or engine tuning.

I'm very accustomed to naysayers and fatalists. I don't know why they don't go into the tech section and post "why do you even bother building your motor, someone else will always be faster". Don't listen to them. They're probably theives themselves. I can think of no other motivation.

Sorry man I didn't even bother to read anything I just posted becasue alarms are a waste of money if it's gonna cost more than $50 bucks, its just there to chirp and make noise as a "theft deterrent" basically, wut I mentioned is just as good as anything u suggested there are plenty ways to disguise wut I suggested to make it hard to find.

P.S. If someone is gonna go outta there way to flat bed my shit, well I guess im fucked.....atleast the theif went all out...lol more power to his ass....

woody
12-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Good Stuff
I used to install alarm system for a high end shop during my college years and these are some of the stuff we do for expensive toy, run around $1500-$2000. Sound expensive but hey something we love is hard to put a price on.

AutoKA24DE
12-10-2005, 07:16 PM
that site is awesome. it works out nicely for me because i own both an integra and a 240sx...

Ghettokracker71
12-10-2005, 07:18 PM
that site is awesome. it works out nicely for me because i own both an integra and a 240sx...

haha ditto :-D

my 240 is auto,too

causeForAlarm
12-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Sorry man I didn't even bother to read anything I just posted becasue alarms are a waste of money if it's gonna cost more than $50 bucks, its just there to chirp and make noise as a "theft deterrent" basically, wut I mentioned is just as good as anything u suggested there are plenty ways to disguise wut I suggested to make it hard to find.

P.S. If someone is gonna go outta there way to flat bed my shit, well I guess im fucked.....atleast the theif went all out...lol more power to his ass....

I have to disagree with you there. Alarms have a start kill function that prevents the vehicle from starting once it's triggered. Even if you don't use a siren on your alarm, this is what makes the alarm effective. All alarms are capable of accepting a vast array or sensors to detect any intrusion, although most people only opt for a door trigger and shock sensor. You can also sense if the hood is popped, trunk is popped, car is jacked up, glass is broken, if someone is in close proximity or reaching into your car. Now tell me how are they going to get into your car without triggering the alarm?

Now once the alarm is triggered, they are going to want to shut it up. Thats why you bury a piezo inside the car. It's hard to locate and even harder to access. There's a second siren in the engine bay or fender. By the time they silence the alarm, the owner (who opted for a two way paging alarm) is standing over them with a baseball bat. Now let's say they opt to disconnect the battery or try to cut the alarm's power instead. Well the alarm has it's own battery backup power buried deep in the interior with the alarm itself. Let's say by some miracle they overcome this barrier and cut power to the alarm. Well the start kill is set up as normally open, so they are going to have to bypass it. Then they're going to have to bypass the hidden kill switch. I really hope they try because the owner is surely about to carry out some justice by now.

If they try to flatbed your car, you'll know instantly. You can get their license plate and a description, call the cops, and/or chase them in a friends car.

In any case, the point is that alarm's do a fine job as long as you install them right! I'd venture to say it's damn near impossible to steal the car. Why would they go through all the trouble? Why would they risk getting caught? They'd rather move on to an easier target. Don't be the easier target. People try and fail to steal my customer's cars. Does this mean that the thieves didn't really want it?

Sorry for the longwinded posts. Why are alarm's bullshit again?

element240
12-11-2005, 12:36 AM
In any case, the point is that alarm's do a fine job as long as you install them right!

i agree. good stuff.

andrewmp6
12-11-2005, 03:57 AM
i got a fuel cut off switch hidden a 12 gauge smith and wesson and a great dane i got nothing to worry about lol

SoSideways
12-11-2005, 12:15 PM
I think for me, the point of a car alarm would be so that it would deter thieves from breaking into my car to steal whatever's in it (which won't be anything from now on, I've learned my lesson).

I want the alarm to go off if they break the window or tilt my car to try and steal things from me, and I will more than likely get the 2 way paging system to I'd be downstairs with some sort of blunt object or a dull finished metallic object over their face if they insist on staying even after the alarm's triggered.

Maybe I'll find the original crooks who stole my stuff and recover some stuff from them if they kept the stuff [shrug]

IAM_SO_sLOw
12-11-2005, 02:11 PM
hey mr. causeforalarm my car has some kind of hornet alarm in it right now....like can i still use your adding sensors,second siren,relay methods on it easly?(i have no experiance w. alarms)
-thanks

causeForAlarm
12-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Hornet's made by DEI so it's not obscure or anything. A solid alarm. You can add sensors to just about any alarm. If it comes with an external sensor... Just splice them in. A ground-when-armed output is nice, otherwise you got to work something out with the start kill output and possibly a relay. Splicing them in is a pain in the ass especially if you're new to wiring because of the diodes. But people in the modding scene have no problem accomplishing much much more difficult shit like engine swaps or learning to drift. I have it laid out on some shitty-ass photoshop scribbles on the site. Good luck.

IAM_SO_sLOw
12-11-2005, 11:02 PM
o alright thanks...lol i suck at wiring....lol i dont know what the alarm comes w/...when i hit it on the outside some times the alarm chips...i can start the car w/ the key when the alarm is armed...so i guess its a very basic alarm. im going to work on my car next week and TRY TO put all thoes mods on your site. hopefully i dont run into problems

codyace
12-12-2005, 03:58 AM
Excellent Stuff on the site....

Now what are your opinions on stuf like 'LoJack' and the GPS sort??? Are they a worthwhile investment you think, or just overpriced garbage??

causeForAlarm
12-13-2005, 12:41 AM
You don't have a start kill relay. It's not really an alarm without one.

Lojack and GPS systems are responsible for breaking up car theft rings and recovering people's property. Not just the cars that they're installed on. A car theft ring was broken up in my own neighborhood due to lojack, and a friend of mine got his 01 Accord back from a theft ring that was broken up in the Inland Empire.

WORTH EVERY FUCKING PENNY. But again, the installation is at least as important as the actual system.

Fuck thieves in the corn hole.