PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Question

King 240
12-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Just a question, but can carbon fiber heat soak?
If it does would it heat soak more then aluminum?

240meowth
12-02-2005, 02:46 AM
no one will ever know! because it is hard to compair unless you have the same amount of CF and the same amount of aluminum!!!

!Zar!
12-02-2005, 03:00 AM
By heat soak to you mean heat sink? It does, but not near the efficiency of alloy.

the head
12-02-2005, 08:09 AM
simply based on mass/sq.in. you would have less with carbon

King 240
12-03-2005, 05:23 AM
well the idea was brough up about CF intercooler piping.
We have CF intake pipe for our MRoadster, so it was just something that was thought about.

Found a company from Ohio that can make carbon fiber tubing at a decent price $100 = 70'' of pipe.

EchoOfSilence
12-03-2005, 10:14 AM
IC PIPING: I have studied this subject. If you are prepared to drop $500 for a kit
then we will make them. But Garrett has confirmed with me that any insulation
benefits from hot engine air are not enough to really measure because the air is travelling at such a high velocity. We are sleeving the piping in our Silvia though
it is just for looks.
just thought I'd let you know. and the CF would just be sleeved; it's not gonna be just cf piping.

kognition
12-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Thats correct, additionally, you cannot use run of the mill epoxy to do this. Garrett said that you will expect to see momentary compressed air temps up to
500 degrees at the hotpipe. While carbon has a lower mass than alluminum, the special epoxy that can handle that temp has a higher mass than the carbon. So
that rules out carbon being really effective. And it would not be any lighter, in fact you would need to make it heavier for reinforcements sake. Real focus should be on the intercooler. What about a relay activated fan setup that sucks air thru the IC at preset times?
////////

just thought I'd let you know. and the CF would just be sleeved; it's not gonna be just cf piping.