PDA

View Full Version : GReddy camshafts

KrazyZenki
11-29-2005, 04:47 AM
Anyone using these or have any experience with them? I have them waiting to be installed and am wondering what your experiences with them are. Where do they rank with HKS, Tomie, JWT.... I know Signal auto used them on one of there drift S13s that was featured in DSport. The specs on mine are intake 264/11.5mm, exhaust 272/11.5mm. Thanks for any comments.

loveless
11-29-2005, 05:07 AM
greddy don't make cams, closest thing they make is cam sprocket

am I wrong or are you mistaken?

mrmephistopheles
11-29-2005, 05:55 AM
greddy don't make cams, closest thing they make is cam sprocket

am I wrong or are you mistaken?

You're wrong.
http://www.trust-power.com/02greddy/high_camshaft.html

Scooter
11-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Anyone using these or have any experience with them? I have them waiting to be installed and am wondering what your experiences with them are. Where do they rank with HKS, Tomie, JWT.... I know Signal auto used them on one of there drift S13s that was featured in DSport. The specs on mine are intake 264/11.5mm, exhaust 272/11.5mm. Thanks for any comments.

I hope that you are planning on replacing your valve springs and retainers, i.e. it is strongly recommended that you do why? In a nut shell "to prevent valve float" secondly...you need to find out if greddy's cams are lash type (hydraulic) or solid type cams. I'm willing to bet they are lash. Some people say that it's okay to run 264in, 272ex without changing Valve springs...IMO That’s absurd.

Depending on what engine you have...a S13 red top-S15 black top SR20DET All have the same duration intake and exhaust "240" also; they share the same cam lift "9.20". So what's different? The later S14 models to S15 have NVCS (VVT) and you have to make sure that if this is a model you have...then the intake cam needs to be compatible with the NVCS. "biggest difference."

Now that this is out of the way...as you can see...the duration on a stock SR20DET (240) is mild... it's stock ^_^(some comic relief) you are going with a 264in, 272ex with a 11.5 lift very aggressive you have now increased the load and work, and with this set up your looking to be in the top of middle to high rpm range...which means "more fun" but only if your engine is ready for it. I'm going to guess that you are replacing your retainers and valve spring, and for added measure you're going to want to find out from greddy whether or not it is necessary to replace the shims and guides, you probably won't, but for sure, retainers and valve springs.
Now that your engine is ready then you need to decide what type of ECU you are going to run...you have plenty of options.

But to...umm answer your question now that I’ve babbled...Greddy, Tomei, HKS....what do you like, each company is different i.e. R&D is different between companies. When choosing a cam IMO you are looking for what you want out of the car, that is do you want more mid range or do you want high end performance, you then pick your cam accordingly to what you want out of your car, many companies may offer the same lift and duration, then its merely choosing which one you like. Personally I like tomei and that's another story ^_^ do it right the first time! if your going to half ass it then you'll get a half ass results...good luck and keep us updated!

KrazyZenki
11-30-2005, 06:36 AM
Yes I am upgrding the valvetrain as well. I have GReddy valvesprings, GReddy RAS, GReddy cam gears, and looking for titanium retainers. I know I wanted staggered cams for my power range goals but wasnt sure what cams but I knew after reading someones comparison on valvesprings where GReddy was ranked number 2 behind Ferrea that those would be the valvesprings to get. So I figured why not get GReddy cams as well seeings how my valvesprings were made to work with those cams. Valve guides I am still looking into, not sure if there really neccessary at this point, I dont think they are. Ive looked at many peoples setup running the same lift and duration and they havent used valve guides or retainers and there motor is still alive and well. I am also getting new stock valves, like you said do it right the first time, some may say get oversized but I dont see the need for it, Im sure the brand new stock ones will suffice. Thanks for the comments.

Also on this subject what HG gasket would you recommend? Cometic seems to be a reliable and inexpensive choice but how reliable is it? Should I choose GReddy or Apex'i over the Cometic? Any other ones I left out?